Please sign in to post.

TGV woes, hope someone knows the answer to this.

Hello experienced travelers,
My son will be leaving for France in about a week and, after doing research on train tickets, I found the perfect train to get him to his first destination, Lourdes. Then his debit card didn't work on the TGV site. And, again and again, it didn't work. So I cleared the cookies, started over in a different browser, and still, it doesn't work. Also, I am ordering in French and his bank knows he is going to travel to europe soon. I'm wondering if the problem might be that he needs to retrieve his ticket at the kiosk at the airport in Paris, and we're using an American debit card, which is unlikely to work in said kiosk (according to all the 'homework' I've been doing lately). If this is the case, can I just check 'mail the tickets' and then have him collect the ticket at the airport anyway by going to an actual person who will print it out? There is not enough time for them to get the ticket to him before he leaves, and this is not a ticket that we can print out at home (more's the pity). I don't see why he should have to wait until he arrives to buy the ticket and then pay much more for same day travel. Also, the Rail Europe site offers only 1 choice of trains going to Lourdes on the day in question and the time it leaves, arrives, and even the amount of time for the transfer are all unacceptable. It's bad all the way around. The TGV site offers several choices. I know several people have had trouble on the TGV site and am hoping someone will have some advice on what to do with this situation. Many thanks.

Posted by
4412 posts

Have you tried a 'credit card' yet? Maybe there's just a problem wiith debit cards... Also, IF he's able to get an 'e-ticket', he MUST have the credit card used in the purchase when he collects the ticket at the train station!!! I've read the thread about Thalys not accepting American credit cards...I don't know what THAT'S about...I haven't seen that announcement when trying to make a fake ticket purchase; it must show up at the last mnute. **IF you choose "Mail Tickets", in my experience, you WON'T be able to get (essentially) another ticket at the train station...He CAN collect his ticket at the Grand Lignes" ticket booth at CDG (IF that's where he's flying into)...read "Paris By Train.com" for lots of great info... Ixnay on the RailEurope site... What exactly are the dates and times he's arriving, and at which airport?

Posted by
1175 posts

Use a credit card but notify your credit card company by phone, not email, that you will be using it to buy train tickets from a French website. I'm not sure a debit card is accepted since I doubt they can trust them to the extent they will a credit card. We had no trouble with credit card purchases with TGV or SCNF tickets once we called the credit card company. We use www.seat61.com for all train ticket issues and advice.

Posted by
4412 posts

THIS IS A DOUBLE POST; SEE IDENTICAL THREAD UNDER THIS CATEGORY (Transportation).