Please sign in to post.

TGV Reservations

We are touring Europe in May. We have a global pass. Our first train trip will be a TGV day train from Paris to Barcelona (not the night train). It requires reservations. I see that I can make reservations using RailEurope. I don't mind paying any fee they might charge. But are there other ways of making reservations from the U.S. before we leave?

Posted by
23319 posts

If you don't mind paying their fees, then do so. Someone has to keep them in business. Most likely advance reservations are not necessary.

Posted by
8700 posts

If you're going to take a lot of trains that require seat reservations, you probably will save money by buying them in advance from EurAide. For one $50 fee you can buy as many reservations as you wish for as many trains as you wish at in-Europe prices. Click on the link on this page.

Posted by
14571 posts

Since your Global pass includes riding the trains in Germany and Austria, no need to reserve unless the reservations are mandatory, if only "recommended" it isn't necessary. You won't stand the whole way anyway. Any TGV or Thalys train day or night require a reservation but not any ICE, usually only those past 19:00. unless it is going to and from France and Germany, day. Especially going to and from France and Germany, it's still possible if the departure time you want for, say Paris-Dresden, Paris-Munich, Paris-Berlin, is sold out. Then book a reservation for the next Paris-Strasbourg or Paris-Metz, especially the latter, a lot less likely to be sold out. From these places you'll get yourself across the border and your destination by the end of the day. With the Pass it's convenient and only one day is counted. Don't use Rail Europe, they're money grubbers, plain and simple. As correctly suggested above, EurAide is much better.