Please sign in to post.

Swiss Rail Pass

My boyfriend and I are going to Europe and are going to be in Switzerland for three days. We are traveling from the airport in Zurich to Lauterbrunnen (through Interlaken). We plan to take the lifts and trains around the BO, but aren't traveling out of that region. Like I said, we're only in Switzerland for three days before heading to Italy. What type of rail pass should we get? Thanks!

Posted by
32328 posts

Erin, You might find it helpful to have a look at This Post, which covers the same topic. The "best" Railpass will likely depend on what you plan on doing during your three days there. The most cost effective option may be to simply use P-P tickets. Happy travels!

Posted by
6898 posts

One possibility is the Swiss half-fare card that provides a 50% discount on all Swiss transportation. It's good for 30 days and costs 110CHF. I usually recommend considering this card when travel to the Jungfrau and Schilthorn may be involved as these are expensive journeys. Here's some quick math, Travel from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen, travel to the Jungfraujoch and travel to the Schilthorn. Regular fare will be 302.60CHF ($169.80, 94.80CHF and 38CHF respectively). In dollars, this is #332.82. With a Swiss half-fare card, the fares will be 151.30CHF. Add in the cost of the card and your expense thus fare is 261.30CHF. At this point, you are ahead 41.30CHF ($45). Plus, you get half-fare on all of your other train, bus and boat journeys during your 3 days and you get half-fare on your exit from Switzerland. Of course, there is the Swiss travel ticket, the Swiss Flexi-pass and others. They all have their good points but I'll let others explain as I have never used them. At the Zurich Flughafen (airport), the train station is beneath the terminal. Go down the elevator to the train station. At the ticket counter, you can buy the Swiss half-fare card and then immeidately use it to buy your first ticket to Lauterbrunnen.