Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass Question

Hello, I'm in Switzerland w/ my husband for 3-5 days in May '12. Lauterbrunnen and Luzern. I see a special 2 for 1 on the Swiss Pass for $127 (2nd class). -Does this allow me FREE and unlimited rail? Any time of day? -Or does this give me a discount on rail tickets? -What other discounts will it give me?
I've calculated all estimated point to point of my journey in euros, so want to be sure this will actually save me $ in the long term and be convenient. thank you!

Posted by
19 posts

Hi Michael! I think I will get it and I see I can order it on Rick's site with no foreign fees. Is the best pass the 2 for 1 (for my hubby and I)? Does it also cover trains between Interlaken/Lucern/Basel? I'm coming from Italy....Will I be able to use it mid-way thru this journey? Lastly....I'm concerned about weather (I'll be there first week of May)..when is your trip and is it worth the risk to go? Would like some mellow day hiking, beautiful views, and small village exploring (Wengen, Murren etc) your thoughts?
KT

Posted by
7209 posts

It's a great deal and I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Yes, those Swiss Passes cover every sort of transportation all over Switzerland...trains, bus, boats, gondolas, cogwheels, trams - just absolutely everything. The exception are the high mountain railways that are private like the Schilthorn and the Jungfrau. But the SP will take you for free all the way up to Wengen (to the Jungfrau) and for free all the way up to Mürren to the Schilthorn. For the remaining part of your mountain journeys you'll get a hefty discount. Lastly - the SP will give you free entrance into Swiss Museums and into Ballenberg which is also worthwhile if you've got some extra time.

Posted by
9109 posts

It's a good deal KT, I also ordered it for my May trip to the region. Rail Europe has started to offer the deal, you're better off getting it from them instead of the Swiss site as the shipping will be less.

Posted by
9109 posts

When you order a rail-pass from this site you get redirected to Rail Europe anyways. But to get the 2 for 1 one you have to go direct to the Rail Europe site. It's based in the US so there will be no transaction fees. Swiss Passes cover the entire country, all domestic inter-city trains..including municipal transport. I'll be there the middle of May keeping my fingers crossed with the weather. I'm basing myself in Interlaken, so if the weather goes bad in the mountains it will be easier to reach other tourist sites in the region via train.

Posted by
833 posts

I cannot advise on this specific pass, but the Swiss day passes cover some mountain transportation. One of the best days of my life was December 23 last year. We were staying up in Baden, and with a 33 CHF (for one day, each person) day pass we traveled by train to Lucerne. Then boarded a ferry over to Weggis. Took a tram halfway up Mount Rigi. We wanted to experience the aerial tram so we took that down and back up. Then a tram the rest of the way up to the top at Rigi Külm. We managed to be up at the top of the mountain at sunset and it was glorious. So, if you are looking for things to do, I would consider Mount Rigi or one of the other mountains in the nearby area.