Please sign in to post.

Swiss Pass

I will be traveling from Milan, Italy to Interlaken, Switzerland with my 10 yo grandchild. Will the Swiss Pass cover that trip or must I buy a separate ticket . We will be in Switzerland for 4 days, will a 4 day Swiss Pass give us unlimited travel on trains and buses for those 4 days? I also read that if I buy a Swiss pass I can get a free Family pass so the my grandchild can travel with me for free. Is this true? Thank you for your help. This is my first time to Europe and we will be with a group the first part, but I wanted to spend four days to see Switzerland.

Posted by
7209 posts

1) Will the Swiss Pass cover that trip? A: Swiss Pass will cover your trip from the Swiss border forward. You'll have to purchase a seperate ticket from Milan to the Swiss Border 2) Will a 4 day Swiss Pass give us unlimited travel on trains and buses for those 4 days A: Yes...as well as gondolas, cogwheels, boats, city trams, etc. 3) I can get a free Family pass so the my grandchild can travel with me for free?
A: No. You can get a free Swiss Family Card for your "children". For your "grandchildren" you must purchase a Grandchild Travel Card for 30chf in Switzerland. Then they travel with you everywhere for free. Note: Do not stop in Interlaken...change trains in Interlaken Ost and head on up into the Lauterbrunnen Valley (20 minute train ride). This is where all of the eye-popping dramatic Swiss Alpine scenery can be found. You can either stay in Lauterbrunnen or head even higher up into the alpine villages of Mürren or Wengen for free on your Swiss Pass. Both Mürren and Wengen are car-free and absolutely stunning!

Posted by
17245 posts

Swiss Pass coverage will start at Domodossola. When you buy your tickets in Milan, show your pass or explain to the agent that you have one so he or she will sell you the appropriate ticket for your class of travel.

Posted by
6898 posts

Note that if you are buying a ticket into Switzerland from Italy (i.e. Milan), the Italian system cannot see Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Gimmelwald or Murren. It can see Interlaken Ost. Just buy your ticket to Interlaken Ost. I agree with Tim's advice to stay in the Lauterbrunnen Valley somewhere and not in Interlaken. The scenery is magical in there - especially in Murren or Wengen. At the Interlaken Ost train station, you walk over about 100' to track 2A and use your pass to hop on the Jungfraubahn train into Lauterbrunnen.