Please sign in to post.

Swiss pass

I am going in begining of May. Should I buy swiss rail pass in advance? I am going to be there for 6 days. Does eurail pass work to travel withing Swiss?

Thanks

Posted by
1010 posts

Hello Kavita,
My husband and I are going to Switzerland in June. We are going to be staying in Lugano, Lucerne and Zurich, in addition to Paris and London. I have only bought TGV train tickets for us to go from Zurich to Paris. I'm going to wait until we get over there to by a "Swiss Saver Pass" for proably three or four days. The "Saver Pass" can be used because the two of us will be always traveling together. Otherwise you can get a "Swiss Flexipass". We are going to use our Pass for the Bernina Express, the William Tell Express, to Mount Pilatus (out of Lucerne) and possibly to the Jungfrau. As the weather can be terrible, we don't want to book a reservation for the Jungfrau, until we check the exact day. We might just take a tour company for the Jungfrau, instead of allocating a day on our "Saver Pass". We were in Switzerland back in 1970 and used a regular Eurail Pass to go all over Europe. From what I have read, the Passes save you a lot of money. It is just the problem to figure out how many days you will need a pass for. You don't want to allocate a pass day for say a one hour trip from Lucerne to Berne. Then it would be less expensive to just buy point-to-point tickets. I have read that buying the Passes and making reservations here in the U.S. is more expensive than waiting until we get over there. I suggest that you think ahead to the exact routes you want to take. Then go on-line to Rail Europe and look into what your point-to-point (exact city to city) tickets would cost you. Then compare it to what your Pass would cost. Have a great trip. Switzerland is gorgeous. Elaine - Mission Viejo, Ca.

Posted by
6898 posts

The Swiss pass or card is better in Switzerland than the Eurail pass. You can buy them at most any Swiss train station. Very easy. If you plan on traveling into the Lauterbrunnen Valley, the Eurail pass will only get you a 25% discount. Most Swiss passes will cover ALL fares there except the two mountain tops (Jungfrau and Schilthorn) where it covers only 50%. Note that the round trip fare to the Jungfrau is about 170 Swiss Francs so there is a difference. Also, the Eurail pass may not be good on the Swiss bus system. You can get further information on a Swiss pass or card at www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Posted by
44 posts

thanks...looks like the best place to buy pass is in Swiss. I hope every train station hasit. I am reaching zuric first.

Posted by
6898 posts

Kavita, if you are flying into Zurich Flughafen (airport), the train station is beneath the airport terminal. Just take the elevator or escalator down.