Please sign in to post.

Summer 2024 Olympics- cost of airfare Paris vs London

We have tickets for a variety of Olympic events over the two weeks of the Paris Olympics in August 2024.
The plane fares into Paris seem to be really high so we are considering flying in and out of London.
Does anyone have experience doing that transfer from London arrival to Eurostar Paris same day?

Also economy tickets on many airlines seem to not necessarily let you choose a seat without paying additional for it as an upgrade. We are considering Virgin Atlantic premium into London which is a lot but still a $1000 less than economy into Paris for those two weeks (at least from the west coast). It is 10 months away and I wonder if airfares will coms down? Any thoughts. Thank you.

Posted by
6389 posts

To be honest, if you are going to Paris, flying to London is a bad idea.

If flights to Paris are too expensive, have a look at flights to Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt or even Zürich.

Posted by
23 posts

So we have looked into Amsterdam, Brussels ( from 2 east coast cities) and Frankfurt.
London airfare is less than those cities and they still involve a 3 hour train ride.
Any specific reason for saying bad idea?

Posted by
2406 posts

I wouldn’t get off the transatlantic flight and onto the train. Take a day or more i. your destination, the take the train

Posted by
6389 posts

Any specific reason for saying bad idea?

Too much faff.

Don't just look at the train shedule from city to Paris, look at the entire trip. The large airports I mentioned all have railway stations where mainline trains stop. They are also all in the EU and Schengen, while Heathrow is in a 3rd country.

If flying to London, the procedure would look something like this:

• Land at Heathrow.
  • Go through UK passport control.
  • Retrieve your bag, go through UK customs and head to the Tube station.
  • Take the tube to St Pancras.
  • Go through a security check, UK exit passport control, French passport control and French customs.
  • Take the train to Paris.

Or if flying to Amsterdam:

• Land at Schiphol
  • Go through Dutch passport control.
  • Retrieve your bag, go through Dutch customs and head to the railway station at the airport.
  • Take the train to Paris.

I know what my choice would be. But of course, cost is also a factor.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you. Appreciate seeing it laid out. We have been trying to figure the timing on things since we need to go through British passport control etc.
There is price consideration and the 11 hour trip decision of whether traveling economy for a tall person is bearable.
I will look at Amsterdam again.

Posted by
5751 posts

Going straight on to Eurostar is a bad idea because the best fares have to be booked weeks, if not months in advance. And on a specific train.

Walk up fares, if available, are £200+

It is one hour to St Pancras from Heathrow, then 90 minute minimum check in time. So sensibly 3 hours from LHR before you have even started the train journey.

Then you have to factor in the current vagaries of international air travel and take a gamble on how late your flight may be, or even if it runs on the correct day.

Far better to overnight in London (at least one night), then take Eurostar next day when you can be pretty certain of your timings. You will also be jet lagged that first day. Not the state to be in for all that hassle, for what is really a full day of travel.

Posted by
6389 posts

It is one hour to St Pancras from Heathrow, then 90 minute minimum
check in time. So sensibly 3 hours from LHR before you have even
started the train journey.

Which can be compared to Amsterdam where the train to Paris stops at the airport without any security or other checks needed.

The other airports I mentioned do not have direct trains to Paris, one change will be needed. But those are easy and simple changes without any need for check in.

You'll still need a bit of margin in case of flight delays though.

Posted by
2745 posts

I’ve only done this about seven or eight times. other people think it’s so difficult and you should avoid it but I found it easy

My only caveat is to give yourself lots of time between your landing and your train to Paris and understand the risk. So I give myself a minimum of four hours and I know that if everything goes, to do you know where in a handbasket , I’ll have to buy a new ticket on the Eurostar to get where I’m going and I’m OK with that. if you’re not OK with that amount - give yourself more than four hours.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks for the input. Hard when you are trying to thread the needle a bit on a two week vacation.
Flights into Paris are pretty exorbitant because of the Olympics and I think other nearby destinations are upping their fares as well for those particular weeks.

Someone told me to look into Condor Airlines to Frankfurt?

Appreciate the help.

Posted by
97 posts

We used points to book, but we are flying into Barcelona and out of Paris. More for itinerary reasons than anything else.
I did get an email yesterday from the official Olympic site about when to book train tickets. They made it sound like the trains will be booking out early, so mark your calendar and keep that in mind!

Posted by
23 posts

Yes thank you. I think that Olympic email is why we are trying to figure flights now.
I’ve been surprised how in order to book actual seats you’re really forced to upgrade.

Posted by
9420 posts

Where are you flying from?
Have you looked at Aer Lingus to Paris?
Norse Airline?

Posted by
6389 posts

I’ve only done this about seven or eight times. other people think
it’s so difficult and you should avoid it but I found it easy

It's not difficult, but time consuming compared to the alternatives. As mentioned, you need at least 3 hours from when you exit customs at Heathrow to when your train leaves St Pancras. At Schiphol on the other hand 5 minutes is enough, 10 if you walk slow. And should you miss your train, there are regional trains that don't cost a fortune for a last minute ticket.

Posted by
2745 posts

Yep but for the savings I’ve gotten it’s well worth it

Plus my next flight ✈️ s a daytime flight Not many other options but London