Please sign in to post.

Strike, travel beyond Sept. 23, 2010

We have tickets leaving Houston on 10/2/10 to CDG on Air France and returning on 10/15/10. Is this type of strike common and on average, how long do they usually last. We also have reservations on Air France to fly to Nice on 10/09 with a return to CDG on 10/14. Would it be wise to look into other means of transport this far ahead? Thank you in advance for info. Sue

Posted by
3551 posts

Threatened strikes are common & usually is just a scare tactic on the part of unions. I know it is unsettling but these things normally work themselves out. It has happened to me 3 times in Europe. Ea time it worked out although sometimes up to an hr bef my departure.

Posted by
10 posts

We are considering asking our hotel (Hotel L'Abbaye, one of Ricks recom.) to arrange pickup and transportation to the hotel just in case..our primary concern is the flight we are scheduled from CDG to Nice on 10/9.

Posted by
16288 posts

I thought this was a one-day general strike on September 23?

Posted by
10 posts

I'm curious to know if there is website (besides these awesome forums) that lists current/pending strikes?

Posted by
16288 posts

That's a good question, Tanya. I don't know of any one website that would keep track of announced strikes. They do tend to get discussed here and on other travel forums, so keeping touch that way will help you stay informed. For Italy, the Trenitalia website will ammounce planed strikes that will affect the train, but that part of teh website is in Italian only. Other strikes may be announced in the news well in advance, and people pick it up that way.