Please sign in to post.

Speeding Tickets in Italy

I received a speeding ticket for a trip to Italy last year which I paid promptly and in full. Now the municipality is demanding that I send them my driver’s licence or they will send another citation, potentially with a much higher fine. Has anyone been in this situation and what did you do? I live in Canada and know that there isn’t a cooperative agreement between here and there as there is between provinces and a number of nearby US states.

Posted by
19092 posts

Do they want you to send them a copy to show that you actually have a driver's license, or are they asking for the actual license, itself?

Posted by
23267 posts

They have to asking for a copy. My guess is that they may be trying to prove who is response. Maybe a name mix up. What is the risk of send a copy of the DL?

Posted by
6788 posts

Something odd here.

They wrote you a speeding ticket. They collected (at least part of) your info there and then. You paid the fine. OK. I would expect that to be the end of it.

Now they want a copy of your license. For what purpose?

This implies they don't really have all the info on you that they want. If they don't already have all your ID info, how could they fine you any further? They might demand additional payment (which seems bizarre) but if they don't really have your complete license info, how could they make any punitive consequences stick?

I'd ask an Italian what to do (Roberto?...)

Posted by
8141 posts

Send them the documentation where the fine was paid. Otherwise ignore the request.
They are not going to extradite you for a traffic ticket. They are just trying to produce revenue.

Posted by
5262 posts

Perhaps they don't realise that you're a foreign national and want to put points on your licence.

Posted by
16255 posts

Was this a speed camera ticket you received in the mail after you returned home? If so, are you certain that the fee you paid was for the actual ticket, and not the "administrative fee" that the car rental agency charges? What was the amount?

Posted by
4535 posts

I also don't understand why they want your license. If it was a camera ticket, they would have gotten your license info from the rental agency (and that fee passed on to you). And if you paid the ticket, what need would they have for your license?

Posted by
5262 posts

they would have gotten your license info from the rental agency

The rental agency only pass the personal details of the driver to the police not the driving licence information.

Posted by
3812 posts

If:

• It's the city of Bolzano that has sent the 2nd letter
  • They are specifically asking the driving licence of the driver, not the person who rented the car

This is the problem:

Perhaps they don't realise that you're a foreign national and want to put points on your licence.

Posted by
19092 posts

Two good reasons why I don't 1) go to Italy, and 2) rent cars in Europe.

Posted by
3812 posts

I don't 1) go to Italy

Good news at last! After the world cup and the elections we really needed it!

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all for your comments.

I subsequently received an e-mail in answer to my simply question. Why do you need it?

They advised that they want to a) ensure my licence is valid in Italy and b) add points to the licence. Neither reason makes any sense.

I rented the car through Hertz who verified the validity of my licence and I am never going to drive in Italy again. I await their response to this argument. By the way Hertz has already charged me a $40 Euro administration fee long before I received the letter requesting I pay the $160 Euro fine.

They are only asking for licence details and not an actual copy of my licence. Essentially they are likely to accept anything since they have no official way of verifying whatever they receive. The Province of Ontario has official arrangements with other provinces and a few US states, but no one else.

Based on various comments I am inclined to send them what they have requested. To do otherwise may lead to continued aggravation. It is only a traffic ticket.

And according to a travel article I read, traffic tickets issued to foreigners adds materially to Italian government revenues at all levels. The city of Florence is believed to collect approximately $52 million Euros each year from foreign visitors. Given what is happening to the country, economically and politically, they may be looking for more.

Posted by
5262 posts

They have no ability to add points to your licence! I'd be tempted to send it to them and see what they try to do with it.