Please sign in to post.

Spain

I am planning a week in Spain flying from London at the end of October to early Novemeber.

Thinking of flying to Barcelona for two days. Train to Madrid - two days there. Then travel to Seville - two days there. Then up to Ibiza for a day back to Barcelona and fly home.

Is that too much too squeeze in?

Any reccommendations for getting around - accomodation or places to visit?

Thanks,

Posted by
4555 posts

In a word....yes...too much to squeeze in. You'll spend half a day travelling between destinations. Cut out Ibiza. And since you're flying from London, fly into Barcelona, then out of Sevilla, either Vueling to Heathrow or Ryanair to Stansted. Obviously, the sooner you book these discount airlines, the cheaper the flights.
As for travel between Barcelona-Madrid-Sevilla, the fastest is the AVE train, and you can get some excellent web fares on RENFE. Click here, and you might still get a good deal, with a print at home ticket. If the cheap fares are all gone, look to Vueling for Barcelona-Madrid, and eat the higher fare for Madrid-Sevilla. Iberia's about the only airline that still flies Madrid-Sevilla, because the AVE is such competition...and the Iberia flight is expensive.
This will still be a lightning-fast trip...hopefully, to whet your appetite for a future return. If pushed, I'd even suggest you drop Barcelona....there'll be lots to keep you busy in Madrid and Sevilla.

Posted by
9 posts

Norm's advice is good. Once you get to Sevilla you won't want to leave. Try to spend 3 nights there.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks Susan and Norm. Thats a good idea to fly into Barcelona and out of Seville. I'll do that.
So i take it that it's not worth seeing Ibiza?

Posted by
6788 posts

If the top priority for your vacation is to spend your nights "clubbing" and rubbing shoulders with crowds of drunks hoping to catch a glimpse of Paris Hilton, then by all means, head to Ibiza straght away. Otherwise...I'd spend the time in Madrid.

Honestly, if you have "a week" (and how many full, non-travel days does that really mean?), you probably have time for two, MAYBE three places at best. Personally, I'd fly in to Barcelona for a few days, catch a cheap flight to Madrid, and spend the remainder of my time there, maybe making a short day trip or two from there, but the key on a short trip like that is to avoid moving around - each time you relocate, you lose from 1/2 to a full day, and you just don't have very many to toss out.