Please sign in to post.

spain

we are going to fly from Koeln to Barcelona and plan to go to Madrid and if possible San Sebastain and back to Koeln. Any suggestion??
I was planning to fly to Barcelona , take train to Madrid and then San Sebastian but not sure if is better to rent a car in Madrid and drive to San sebastian and back to Barcelona. any suggestion?

Posted by
12172 posts

I like the idea of AVE training to Madrid, buy your ticket well in advance to get the best price. After Madrid, I'd go with a car. Outside the main corridors served by trains, Spain is more convenient by bus or car. Depending on how much time you have, you can get creative with where you would like to visit. Potentially, you could visit some combination of Segovia, Burgos and Vitoria or Bilbao on the way to San Sebastian. From there Pamplona, Olite (great castle there), Zaragosa and Montserrat on the way to Barcelona. Or you could do Olite and Pamplona on the way to San Sebastian and Zaragosa and Montserrat back to Barcelona. Or take a circular route through the north back to Barcelona from San Sebastian - really a lot of choices depending on your interests.