Please sign in to post.

Sleeper Train

Hi all,

We're in the planning stage for a 2018 europe trip. On one leg we are taking an overnight train from Cologne-Salzburg (via Wels). We will be traveling with 4 adults and 2 children (7/8 at the time). My question is really around the couchette reservation. on the OBB site there's a couple different options that on the surface would seem to be the same, yet the price varies greatly. If anyone more familiar with this that can clarify I would greatly appreciate it! What I'm seeing is this (all prices in Euro):

First it shows "Best Price" 291,00. I'm assuming these are seats only. Then you could select "Couchette" Under the "Night Train" option for an additional 100. Total that way is 391,00 euro.

The other thing it shows (and this is where I'm getting confused) shows "Familycompartment." The price for that stands on it's own and is 493.

I just want to ensure the 6 of us are all in the same overnight compartment and I'm not sure if there's any real difference between the two.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Note if you want to see for yourself, I just went to tickets.oebb.at put in 4 adults and 2 children for some arbitrary date about a month in the future. The overnight train leaves at 21:21 from cologne and goes to salzburg via wels (or you could just put wels for the destination).

Posted by
650 posts

European night trains are slowly closing, which for those of us who love them is a shame. So beware of relying on them too many months in advance. 2018 is a ways out.

When looking at European train ticket prices, be aware that they vary based upon how flexible they are in allowing you to change train times and dates and how far in advance you purchase them as well as first class and second class and couchetts, seats, or private compartments. For all questions train begin with The Man in Seat 61. http://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Cologne.htm#Cologne-Vienna

Posted by
8889 posts

Dave, 2018? this is way into neverland. Overnight trains have been disappearing for years. About 50% of the ones in Germany stopped operating with the annual timetable change second Sunday in December (yesterday!). What services will be operating in 2018 and what the fares would be is anybody's guess.
I don't like the ÖBB website, not one of the easiest to use. I put in 7 Mar 2017, Köln to Salzburg (don't bother to enter Wels, let the computer figure out the best route), and it gave me €61.30 (that must be the seats fare). I clicked on that price to get all the options.
First option was couchette "6 couchette compartment, includes small breakfast" +€20, that would be on top of the €61.30
Or "sleeper compartment (3 berth), +€80.

Since there are 6 of you, you could easily book a couchette to yourself, 6 x (€61.30 + €20) = €487.80, or slightly less as the two children probably cost less. When you book, if you book 6 couchettes, and you book early or the cheap fares, I am almost certain you can get these in the same compartment.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks folks! Yes 2018 is a long ways off, we're coming up with our itinerary now and researching estimated prices and best methods of travel. Certainly things could change in a year from now when we start actually booking things : ) We'll just roll with the punches if they do. Pity they are cutting back on these. We've never taken one the other times we were over there, but it seems like a great way to gain a day in your travel schedule (not expecting the best sleep though!)

Posted by
8889 posts

Dave, if it is still running, a couchette would be great for a group of 6. Consider it "family camping". Normally on a couchette you are with strangers, and sleep with clothes (less shoes, and possibly topless if you are male).
If you are all "good friends", it could be fun. Kids demand the top bunks. No embarrassment for the females, as the men and kids stand in the corridor when they do whatever females do. Bring your own food and drink.
You have to be able to sleep in a moving bed, with a lot of background noise. Some people can, some can't. And you have to get dressed to go to the toilet or washbasin (at the end of the coach).
In this case you have to be able to go to sleep quickly: Köln Hbf ab 21:21, Wels Hbf an 06:17, Wels Hbf ab 06:45, Salzburg Hbf an 07:48. That is 8h54 on the sleeper, I hope that is enough for you!
And you fall out of the train in a dark station (Wels) at 06:17, and have to find your next train (where the !?#@$ am I?)

Posted by
3 posts

Love it Chris.....I usually stumble out of bed wondering where the #(#@@ I am anyways so it is probably fitting : )

Posted by
4637 posts

Trains in western Europe became so fast and that makes nights for overnight trains too short. So there are fewer and fewer of them. You don't have to despair; you would still be able to use them in eastern Europe.

Posted by
14809 posts

Hi,

There are still plenty of night train routes to choose from. The CNL from DB is gone, (it was overpriced anyway), now taken over by EN. The set-up is practically identical. You are planning for 2018 , a bit too far in advance. I'm planning my seven week trip to start after mid-May 2017 which will include at least two night train rides to max out my travel days. If you want to go by night train, that night service is there, even more so in central Europe as it pertains to Hungary, Poland, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep. If the night route you want does not exist, eg, going from Berlin to Paris, you can tailor your route to get one...easily done.

Going from Cologne to Salzburg can be done by night train. I did part of that route in May 2016, Düsseldorf to Munich. . You take Cologne to Munich at night, arrives in Munich (terminus) a bit after 0600, change to Salzburg. Why "via Wels?" Wels is close to Linz, east of Salzburg as the trains go.

Posted by
2965 posts

For info, there are direct flights from Cologne to Salzburg (1+10 hrs.) for less than $60 p/p.

Posted by
20987 posts

Via Wels is actually better than via Munich because the night train is operated by OEBB and goes Duessseldorf to Vienna, stopping at Wels in the morning where it connects to a Railjet to Salzburg. The City Night Line to Munich is no more. Now it is just a regular old ICE with no sleeping accommodations.