Please sign in to post.

Should I be worried? 737 Max flying out of Newburgh over the Atlantic

I admit I was seduced by the low fares, nonstops offered by Norwegian out of Newburgh, NY to various destinations in the UK, Norway and Ireland this summer. A friend and I wanted to meet up and check out Ireland for the first time so I decided to book a RT from Newburgh to Dublin. I had read great things about this airline last year so I admit I did not do my homework this time.

Apparently I would be on a 737 MAX, a brand new plane, never tested in commercial flight, which I now read has been grounded due to an engine problem yet this carrier still insists on rushing the delivery of this plane so they can run these routes. Makes me wonder. Also...will the pilots have enough experience on this brand new plane? Please do not scold me. I admit, I should have done my "homework." Then, I keep reading that that security might not be ready for these flights out of this airport. All of a sudden, I am beating myself up for not doing enough research.

Should I be concerned? I do have travel insurance but it only covers non-refundable costs if I get ill or an immediate family member gets ill. Certainly, I do not wish illness on any family member or me!

Has anyone flown this airline long haul in a twin engine, one aisle? Good or bad experience?
Should I express my concern to the airline before traveling?

Posted by
10188 posts

Your concerns are understandable.
We flew it for four hours from BWI to Guadeloupe. No problem. Don't know what kind of plane they used, but it was a new 3 and 3 with one aisle, and most importantly it stayed up in the air. Your flight is six hours, right.

Posted by
238 posts

Thanks for your thoughts. Flight is 7-8 hours. I am more concerned about the engine part that was flawed in the 737 MAX and the haste of the airline to have the planes in operation anyway. That business model concerns me. Safety should be first.

I do not think I can post links here but I will try. If the link does not post just google 737 Max and Engine
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-boeing-737max-engine-idUSKBN1862O9

Posted by
11176 posts

The 737 has been flying to/from Hawaii for years. They have the range.

The planes that had the problem engines have been identified and those engines have been sent back to the engine maker.

These planes have been in testing for 2 years to get certified.

I would be more concerned about being in an accident on the way to the airport than flying in this new plane

Posted by
1103 posts

The aviation authorities would not allow an airline to use a plane that was unsuitable or not ready for flying. Regarding the question of a long-haul flight in a twin engine one aisle airplane, Aer Lingus has been using a Boeing 757 on its new Hartford to Dublin route without any problems (we just took that flight). Icelandair uses a 757 on its routes which stop in Reykjavik.

That said, it is not uncommon for new planes to experience some technical glitches when they are first introduced. The new Norwegian routes from Newburgh, Hartford and Providence all use the 737 Max, so it seems that the airline would be focused on making it all work.

Posted by
9099 posts

While not a 737, United has flown narrow body 757s out of Newark to Europe for a couple decades now without issue. Occasionally when there are strong head winds heading back to the USA and once and a while flights may land at Gander Newfoundland to take on fuel but that's not an issue in the other direction. Personally I would take those flight and probably will as Stewart Airport is just down the road from me;)

Posted by
238 posts

Thank you all for your thoughts and taking the time to reply.

Posted by
238 posts

Michael...I love New Paltz and also Saugerties, Hudson, Rhinebeck. Great area. I lived in Poughkeepsie for a couple years. The low fares were so tempting I had to cave in. Apparently there are not even any restaurants in Stewart Airport yet. So, hoping I will not be stuck there with a delay. Not many hotel options nearby either.

Posted by
9099 posts

Actually there are lot of hotels near the airport. The are mostly congregated at the intersection of I87 & I84 which is a short distance away from the terminals. The airport its self is practically dead, it only offers a few domestic flights a day mostly to Florida. I hope I'm wrong but I think Norweigen is going to struggle to make money at Stewart. If it the airport can't get direct flights to Chicago, I can't see it how direct flights to Bergen and Dublin are going to be profitable:(

On the other hand if they can convince an Asian airline to fly in 747s for the Woodbury outlet mall it would be a huge success!

Posted by
9420 posts

All I can offer is 2 friends of mine have flown Norwegian, separately, many times rt to Europe and were very happy with the plane and the airline. I'd have no reservations flying Norwegian myself. The airline does not want anything bad to happen, that's how I look at it.

Posted by
238 posts

The hotels near Newburgh Airport seem very expensive for venues with no decent restaurant/bar in the hotel but I understand that is normal for the Southern Hudson Valley.

Posted by
238 posts

Thank you, Roberto. I was thinking the same thing I just hope the pilots would know how to deal with it.

Posted by
8139 posts

I'm just glad to have Norwegian Air Shuttle and a couple of smaller airlines that have been responsible for reducing airfares from North America to Europe.
I've flown with them on five legs internationally and a couple of legs in Europe with no issues whatsoever. The Boeing 787's are quite impressive airframes, and such an airplane is not being trusted to inexperienced pilots. They have just enough gray hair.
The big legacy air carriers need competition to keep them competitive.

Posted by
3518 posts

Norwegian is currently flying 737-800 planes. These are NOT the MAX variety even if they are brand new. The 800 series has been in commercial use for several years already and have a very good safety record, along with the other 737 varieties in use around the world today. I would guess your flight will be on one of these.

The issue with the MAX versions was a few had bad engines, not a defect in the engineering or construction of the plane itself. The bad engines, 20 total, were removed before the planes were delivered to the purchasers and replaced with ones having no issues. Those planes will be back in line for delivery as originally scheduled. But an airline cannot "rush" putting new planes into service anyway. Only the FAA and the manufacturer can make that decision and it is in no way a rush for either.

Posted by
14980 posts

Before a pilot is certified to fly a new "type" of aircraft, he must get certified on that plane that includes numerous hours of training including many types of emergencies. This is done in a simulator.
The pilots will have thousands of hours of flight time.
Planes cannot fly over the U.S. without certification. If there is a problem, it will be taken care of before the plane can fly.
Lastly, the airline's insurance company will insist on certification before it will cover the aircraft.

Posted by
23267 posts

Hate to ask this question but are you a little paranoid? No plane flies before its time. And remember the pilot is always the first to arrive at an accident scene. Know any pilots with a death wish? I would trust them. There are other things, more important, to worry about.