Please sign in to post.

Seattle-Italy flights 2012

I am headed to Italy in late June 2012. I am looking for advice on flights. We have noticed that it appears a lot cheaper to fly from Seattle to Paris then directly to Italy. Is this typical or just that we are following flights ten months out? Also, when should we book flights? We have seen flights range from $900-1200. Do we book a $900 flight now or wait in search of a better deal?

Posted by
69 posts

Hi Steve, given that you are so well ahead for your travel, you have plenty of time to study various options for getting to Italy in an inexpensive way. However, living in Europe, I consider a USD 900-1200 price tag from SEA to Italy to be fair and reasonable. Be aware that airlines have their low and high seasons fares - the latter typically commencing in June every year, thus affecting your overall ticket price. However, my advice to you is strongly to book a ticket directly to Italy from SEA, not to ex. CDG Paris and then from there buy a cheap ticket to Italy, as, unless you plan to spend some days in Paris on route, in case of delay out of SEA and you miss your onward flight from Paris to Italy, you won't be compensated for this leg and will essentially have to buy a new Paris-Italy ticket yourself. As I said, you have good time to plan, and airlines will have plenty of Fall, Winter and Spring offers to Europe, but they usually do not include travel in June (high season). I have always found very reasonable prices on klm.com via AMS which is a good entry point to Europe. Avoid CDG Paris if you can.

Posted by
1266 posts

Steve - Checking Kayak, I see that Iceland Air has a flight for less than $1000 to Paris flying mid June. Kayak is also showing fares to Italy for a little less than $1800 also flying mid June. You need to find a fare you are happy with. Will fares go down in the next few months, who knows. If I did know, I would sell my services to the highest bidder. As Michael mentioned airfares definetly go up in the summer. If the difference stays high, you might want to look at flying round trip from Paris to Italy on Easyjet or other bargin airline.

Posted by
100 posts

Hi Steve,
My husband and I are also planning a 2012 trip from the Seattle area to Italy. Like you I noticed that fares are less expensive to Paris, so we've decided to fly to Paris, take a couple of days there then take the trainto Venice to start our trip. We'll end the trip inRome, take a cheap flight to Paris and return home. That way we can book the international flight as a round trip fare. I'm watching the fares, but won't buy for a while. Last year, I watched fares for a couple of months for a trip to China. One day, inexplicabily, the fare dropped a couple of hundred dollars per person (same airline, same direct flight). I purchased immediately. Two days later, the fare was back up. Go figure..... We both really dislike those long international flights, so plan to take a direct flight. Air France code shares a direct flight with Delta. Right now the fare is abt$1300. I'm watching to see if it comes down. I don't plan to buy until after the first of 2012 unless they really drop.

Posted by
23562 posts

You need to look at open jaw tickets and save the expensive and time of returning to Paris. Check Milan in addition to Rome for return. Cheaper and easier to get to than Paris

Posted by
931 posts

Steve, the "sweet spot" is two to three months before your trip. But, if a $900 pops up for SEA to Italy...buy it! That is a great price, for June out of SEA! Especially if it is Delta to Amsterdam, then a transfer to Italy, or Lufhansa to FRA, and a transfer to Italy. Delta also has the Economy Comfort seats, which have up to 5" of extra leg room; and they are wonderful. Set up and auto notice on Kayak, Orbitz, etc, and when your price shows up, by the seats directly from the airline. Watch the routes and familiarize yourself with the average costs, and be ready to jump when the prices drop. BTW, my Nephew flew SEA to Europe on Iceland Air and absolutely loved it. They have some great fares. Watch them closely. Frank has an excellent point. We have saved lots of $$ by flying "open jaw": into one city and out of another. (use the "multi-city" option when you do your flight search.) Whatever you do, do NOT book a US Air to Philly, and then to Italy. We did that two years ago; it was cheap, but the transfers in and out of Philly were the worst travel exeperiences we have ever had.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi, i live in beaverton oregon! hello neighbor. I have never traveled before out of the usa, and was wondering if you mind giving a few tips if you do not mind. I want to fly to paris, but there are two airports, cdc and ory, which one is it i am to take? and which airline in portland oregon will take me there with lots of leg room? I am 6'4' and will need legroom and the cheapest place to sleep? any info that will help me would be greatly appreciated! thank you steve

Posted by
2428 posts

Geri, it appears that by the number of posts you have that you are new to this site. You have posted on a question that is over a year old, happens to the best of us! Suggest you start a new question on the area that specifically covers France and see what responses you get. There are many very seasoned travelers here ready and more than able to help you. Just be specific with questions you ask, such as when asking for a budget hotel, give us an idea of what your budget is, yours might be 300 euro and mine is 100 euro. As for your question about seats, am not sure if you can request bulkhead seating but that would give you more leg room. So would the emergency row but I seem to remember you can only get that when you show up at airport. One last suggestion is to get Rick's Europe through the back door for great general advice and then his specific France book. They are good resources. Also look at the graffiti wall section of this site for great travel ideas, packing light, room finding, etc. Good luck and keep posting!