Please sign in to post.

Seat reservations

Hi, I've looked through many of the other forum topics and haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for, so hopefully someone can help! I'm planning a 6 week trip throughout Europe, and obviously taking trains here and there. After careful consideration, calculation and a whole lot of time, I've decided it's more economical to buy point to point tickets versus a rail pass based on where I'm going. My question is, do I need seat reservations for longer trains? I've booked one train from Amsterdam to Hamburg (29 euro!) and was not required to make a reservation. However, does that mean I can get shut out of having a seat if the train is full? Is it better to just pay the 4 euro for a guaranteed seat? My next purchase will be a train ticket from Hamburg to Munich (also 29 euro) but now I'm getting nervous about not having a seat for a 5-6 hour train ride. In NY, we have commuter trains that can fill up pretty fast and you end up on an hour long train ride standing if you don't get a seat in time. Also.. this may sound really stupid.. but if I find an empty seat on a train I didn't make a reservation for, how will I know if it's not already reserved? Or do I just run the risk of having to bounce around until no one kicks me out of my seat? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated! This trip is supposed to be fun and it's turning out to be quite stressful planning it all.

Posted by
2297 posts

When I'm travelling solo and not on a Friday I don't get reservations. But on Fridays IC and ICE trains get very full. And travelling as a couple it can also be a bit more difficult to find two seats next to each other without reservations.

Posted by
9099 posts

For the journeys you listed, seat reservations are optional. But you should get get the reservation for peace of mind. I've been on trains where locals tell me it's always empty be SRO, and I've been on trains where I've been told that it's always full be near empty:) Above each seat is a digital display which tells you if the seat is reserved and for which segment of the train journey. Check out this video: http://youtu.be/moLGxdId9uU

Posted by
19052 posts

In my last 12 years in Europe, I've only been on one reservable train that was standing room only, and that only for a half an hour. But for trips as long as you're taking, I would reserve. The chances of standing are small, but results rather unpleasant. You can go back on the German Rail websites and get reservations for those trains. For the Hamburg to Munich train, the reservation can probably be printed online. The Amsterdam to Hamburg reservation might have to be mailed. Or you can get reservations from RailEurope for $12; those will be mailed. As the video shows, there used to be paper reservation indicators, now they are digital. On the SRO train I rode, even though all seats were occupied, most were not reserved. I got on in the middle of the route. If you get on early where the train originates, the chances of finding an unreserved seat are better.

Posted by
12040 posts

I always purchase a seat reservation. Not for peace of mind, and not because I'm worried that I won't find a seat... but simply because with a reservation, I can proceed directly to my waiting seat. I don't like the bother of stumbling around looking for a vacancy.

Posted by
14 posts

I find this web site to be interesting for europe train travel. http://www.seat61.com/ Concerning reservations, i make them for trips with my family so that we can all be together and so there is one less thing to think about at 4 a.m.!
And in the grand scheme of things, after spending lots of money on air fare, a bit more for a train seat is fine.

Posted by
2829 posts

The stress disappears if you stop anguishing about extra €4 per journey per person. I'd reserve a seat to not only be guaranteed I'd not have to stand, but also: - to guarantee I'd not have to change places during the trip to give way to passengers boarding later and assigned to my seat - to make it easier for my travel companion and I to be together all the time