Please sign in to post.

Ryan Air

I'm flying Ryan Air from Lourdes France to Milan. I've paid for a reserved seat and to check one bag (maybe not necessary, but I would be close to their weight limit and don't want to hassle about it; I'll carry LOTS on and just check absolute nonessential). I've heard lots of negatives about Ryan Air. Any advice to make it as easy as possible?

Posted by
9369 posts

Check and be at the gate early. They are very strict about check-in and boarding times. I have never had a problem with them.

Posted by
9153 posts

Ryan Air is fine, just read their instructions on their website and then do what it says. I enjoy flying cheaply. There will be people here on the Helpline that will tell you how horrible Ryan Air is, but they often have never even flown with them. I would discount their remarks. When they say 1 carry-on, they mean 1 bag. Total. Not a carry-on and a purse and a camera bag. Just one bag. It has to be under 10 kg and fit in their measuring rack that they often use to check bags before they let you board the plane. Make sure your boarding pass is printed out. They close the counters to board punctually. Are those airport near the city you are flying too? I know some of them are quite far away, but others are the same airports as all the other airlines use. Will you have to take a bus there and if you do, how far?

Posted by
7927 posts

I was just going to mention what Jo said. They are strict about weights and size, so when you say carry "lots on" it needs to be within the limits and since you check the bag before security and carry on checks are done at the gate...you need to make sure everything is good well before the gate. Also, you did not mention it, but you need to print out your own boarding pass and do online check-in before getting to the airport. The airports for both Lourdes (less than 10 miles away)and Milan (they use Bergamo) are very convienient.

Posted by
1994 posts

Thanks so much! I feel much better after hearing of your experience. Sherry

Posted by
2779 posts

Ryanair deliver just what they promise. I always find it to be a fair deal. My total of 10 flights all were absolutely on time. Seating is worse than on any tram, there is no leg room. Even shorter people have to sit in an angle which is why I always aim for an aisle seat in the rear of the plane. Borading and de-boarding is always done via stairs through both the front and rear doors. They will not let you sleep or just read during the flight as this would interfere with their hard-core sales show. You MUST check-in yourself and bring your self-printed boarding pass to the airport. Refusing to do so will cost you a fine. Be sure you've read their fine print and you'll be alright.

Posted by
1994 posts

Andreas, thanks for the warning. It's good to know. I'll spend more time on the fine print than I usually do.

Posted by
9369 posts

I have not had the same experience as Andreas with regard to them not letting you sleep. I don't know how they could stop you - they didn't stop me. I had just flown overnight into Heathrow from the States, then taken a bus to Stansted. When I boarded my RyanAir flight to Spain, there was NO one who was going to keep me awake!