Please sign in to post.

Rude Flight Attendants--US Airways #719 from Rome

Well, this really isn't a question, but rather a comment and a call to action. On a return flight from Rome on US Airways on Wednesday (December 19), I experienced the rudest group of flight attendants I've ever encountered anytime, anywhere. The best word I can think of to describe them is "surly." They yelled at the passengers (Italian-speakers, especially)--only one attendant spoke (or even tried to speak) Italian, slapped our food down on our try tables, complained loudly about us passengers in the "main cabin," and complained about each other to us. On more than one occasion, I saw one particular attendant force her way dowen the aisle, nearly landing customers on their rear-ends. I only got out of my seat twice and had the experience of her forcing her way past me on one occasion without even an "Excuse me." The worst part of all of this was the way that the attendants treated the Italians--yelling at them when they didn't understand what was being told to them in English. An Italian woman and her daughter seated in my row couldn’t get their video screens to work. When they brought this to the attention of one of the rudest flight attendants (and having the designation of “one of the rudest” among this group is notable), she verbally lashed out at the 5-year old and her mother saying, “It’s because you’re playing with buttons on the remote! Leave it alone!” (They hadn’t been “playing with the buttons.”) She wrenched the remote from the girl’s hand and shoved it into the armrest.

Posted by
2749 posts

Well the problem is the man you wrote.

USAir has the WORST labor relations amoung the US based airlines right now. Mr. Parker seems more interested in "merging" with another airline then dealing with HUGE issues. Just be greatful you got your lggage. Last Christmas the baggage handlers for USAir decided that luggage loading was an optional activity! I try to avoid the airline if possible.....

Posted by
513 posts

(Continued) Be assured that I have written a letter to W. Douglas Parker (the CEO), although I don't expect it to do any good. I wasn't the only person who witnessed 8 hours of indignities.

Posted by
23357 posts

Must have been the same crew that took us from Philly to Rome. I now have two new cardinal rules --- AVOID Philly Airport !!! AVOID USAir!!!

Posted by
513 posts

I can't argue with your cardinal rules, Frank. The sad part is that US Airways abandoned our convenient, beautiful, and not-as-busy Pittsburgh International Airport in favor of Philadelphia. With the pull-out we are getting some more palatable options here--at least for domestic travel. US Airways continues to be competitive price-wise for most international destinations, but the service stinks. Philadelphia is a nightmare.

Posted by
486 posts

I'll put up a planeful of Alitalia flight attendants on my October return against your one USAir attendant and, I'll throw in the Business Class (yes, Business Class) flight attendants on an outbound Air France flight on a previous trip. That latter flight had the rudest French attendants in a country supposedly known for its rudeness. On the other hand, everyone else I have ever encountered in France (including the Air France representative on arrival in Paris who went far out of her way to help us) were always great.