Please sign in to post.

Rome transportation

What is the best mode of transportation from the airport to the hotel in Rome. Our hotel is located closed to the Vatican.
Thanks.

Posted by
419 posts

I think that almost always a taxi is the best choice. You will be tired from an overnight flight, you will have luggage, even if it's only carry-on and you will be in entirely new surroundings.
Settle into a taxi, let the driver handle your bags, and enjoy a stress-free ride to your hotel.

Posted by
15899 posts

I concur that the taxi is the easiest.
It's 48 euros flat fee. Train to Rome, then subway (or bus) may be a cheaper option, but I would not recommend it unless you travel very light (basically just with a carry on). However consider that at 48 euro flat fee, the taxi may be just as cheap if it's several of you traveling together. The train + subway alone is about 16 euro per person, therefore 3 people traveling together with train+subway will spend just as much as the taxi ride.

Posted by
32329 posts

Janet, I tend to prefer a "combination approach" when not staying in the Termini area. In the same situation, I'd use the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini (€14, 32 minutes with no worries about traffic, DON'T forget to validate). You can buy tickets either at the staffed ticket office at the airport or from one of the Kiosks. Upon arrival at Termini, walk out the front door (straight ahead and a bit to the left with your back facing the tracks) and take the next Taxi in the rank. I used that method to reach a hotel in Trastevere, and as I recall the fare was ~€20 or so. The Taxi's at Termini seem to be the official and licensed versions (there are other types in Rome). I've found when using Taxi's in Europe, it's often helpful to have the name and address of the hotel (in Italian) on a small piece of paper, as that avoids confusion. Using a Taxi from the airport is simpler and more direct, but could take longer if the traffic is bad. It will also likely be more expensive than the method I outlined above. You might find it helpful to have a look at www.roninrome.com/transportation/transportation-options-from-fiumicino-airport-fco-to-the-city-of-rome for some good tips. Happy travels!

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for your response. We've never traveled to Rome and are currently in the initial stages of planning our trip. The information will be most helpful. I'm sure I will post more questions before we depart the third week of October. Appreciatively,
Janet

Posted by
11613 posts

I agree that the Leonardo Express and then a taxi is a good plan. If you have a confirmation from your hotel, just show the address on that to the taxi driver.

Posted by
1022 posts

I suggest romecabs.com. The driver will meet you outside C&I and assist with your baggage. Comfortable cars, English speaking drivers. You'll probably get a mini tour on the way to your hotel.

Posted by
635 posts

We might have saved a few Euro by taking a cab from the hotel to Roma Termini and the Leonardo Express from Termini to Fiumicino, but we would have missed the cab ride with a friendly driver whose English was only slightly worse than my Italian. We had a great chat, and we wished the ride had gone on longer.

Posted by
1206 posts

I was in Rome in September. I went to where you catch the train. I met people that were staying by the Vatican and I was staying by the Rome train station. Right by the train, there was a customer service desk and we went to them to ask about the train and buy our train tickets. I bought my train ticket there. The customer service desk told the people staying by the Vactican it was easier and the same price to buy tickets to a shuttle bus that would take them to their hotel. Much better than taking the train to the Rome train station and then taking a taxi. You may want to try this when you land instead of taking a taxi or taking the train and then a taxi. Have you contacted your hotel to see if they will arrange a shuttle bus for you. I don't know how many people you are traveling with but a shuttle is a good way to go.