Please sign in to post.

Rome to Venice

Hey everyone, If I just one to catch a train from Rome to Venice and back in one day....how do go along doing that?
Thanks, megan

Posted by
8700 posts

The first high-speed EuroStar Italia train leaves Roma Termini at 06:45 and arrives at Venezia Santa Lucia at 10:33. The last ES train leaves Venezia Santa Lucia at 19:27 and arrives at Roma Termini at 23:14. When are you taking this trip? Booked far enough in advance on the Trenitalia site, you can get a Mini fare as low as €9.00 each way. The standard 2nd class fare is €76.00 each way.

Posted by
23569 posts

But think about it - you will spend about 8 hrs of travel to spend less than 9 hours in Venice. One hour of travel, one hour of sightseeing - Is that worth it?

Posted by
3941 posts

Venice is worth soooo much more then 9hrs :)
But if that is all you have, better that then nothing, I guess.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks for the advice, we are going to be there in January. I know that we only have 8 hours in venice but I think it's still worth it....really just wanting to go to murano and burano. I tried to get onto the website but I can't figure out what to type in. Can someone tell me where I am leaving from and where I would be going? thanks,
megan

Posted by
32328 posts

megan, As the previous reply indicated, your trips will be between Roma Termini and Venezia Santa Lucia. You might want to have a look at the Italy Guidebook to plan your touring around Venice so that you don't waste any time. I agree with Frank, that's a LONG way to go for only eight hours. Happy travels!

Posted by
75 posts

Hi from just across I-35 (Cedar Park), Megan! You have to type the names in Italian....from Rome's main train station you would type "Roma" and select "Termini" to "Venezia" Santa Lucia station. We are going in May and I'm booking that train before we leave, so I've kinda figured it out over time. When will you be there?

Posted by
7209 posts

Don't do all of that traveling to get to Venice just so you can see Murano and Burano. Venice Island is much more interesting than either of the two outlying islands. In addition if you take the vaporettos to both of those islands then there is even MORE time wasted traveling. Vaporettos are not fast. If you want fast transportation then you'll need private water taxis which are VERY expensive. Venice is definitely worth visiting, but I don't think you're particular plan is very good. You'll be on Venice Island the exact same time as all of the hordes of daytrippers and cruisers descend onto Venice. The early mornings and late evenings are much much nicer - which is exactly the time you WON'T be there. I would recommend you rethink this trip and either spend a bit more time or save it for the next trip.

Posted by
26 posts

Hey everyone, I really appreciate your opinions...but this has become a choice that I have made and I have no other options...I know that I will be coming back in the future but murano and burano are the places that I want to go. Thank you for your opinions but if you would kindly stop posting that it's a waste of time for me I would appreciate that. If you have any advice that is helpful on how to make the most of my little time there, that would be appreciated too. Megan