Please sign in to post.

Rome to Venice Air or Train ? and Booking advice

Arriving Rome Airport May 22, 9:30 am and on to Venice, to spend three days.
Should I use air or rail and whatever the case is there any economic advantage to booking now?
Many Thanks.

Posted by
14939 posts

The question is....do you care about seeing the Italian landscape between Rome and Venice? If yes, take the train. If not, fly. You'll get a wonderful view of the clouds. And the clouds in Italy look the same as the clouds everywhere else. The Italian countryside however.......

We are all in a rush to get somewhere yet forget to enjoy the journey.

Posted by
22 posts

I flew last year on Ryain air from Rome (CIA) to Venice (Treviso) airport....which is about a hour bus ride from Venice. Was kind of a hassle... I would definately try to get into Marco Polo airport instead.

But it was still cheaper and quicker than the train.

Posted by
1167 posts

There is an Alitalia flight from Rome to Venice Marco Polo (VCE) at 12:40 arriving at 1:45 for $129 one way. By the time you figure the cost and time by going by train it might be better than the train. Plus you could check you luggage through to VCE and not have to deal with it until you get to Venice.

Posted by
8700 posts

I'd take the train myself. If your flight is late, you can take the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini as late as 12:06, arriving at 12:37. Then take the 12:50 EuroStar Italia train to Venezia Santa Lucia, arriving at 17:17. If your flight is on time, go directly to Termini and use your free time to buy food and wine for a picnic on the train. Buy your Rome-Venice ticket at the airport station when you buy your ticket for the Leonardo Express.

Granted, the Alitalia flight Jeff listed arrives at Marco Polo at 13:45. However, it will take some time before you can leave the airport and there is still the time and expense it will take to get to Venice. I wouldn't be surprised if taking the train will put you in the heart of the city before you could get there from the airport.