Please sign in to post.

Rome to Sorrento

1st time in Italy this May. Spending 5 days in Rome and then going to Sorrento. What is the best way to get to Sorrento from Rome. I have read other posts. We are physicaly capable people, but will be shlepping luggage. Thinking train to Naples then question is private car to Sorrento or public train????

Posted by
11363 posts

Take the Circumvesuviana and take less luggage. You need less than you think! I made it for 3 weeks with a 21" roll aboard and a daypack, and I still brought too much stuff. Never had trouble handling my own luggage on trains and we transferred many times. Though my husband did help lift into overhead racks because I am vertfically challenged. Less is more!

Posted by
691 posts

You take the train from Rome termini to Naples centrale takes 1:10 to 2:10 hours depending of the train you take. You can see the schedule on www.trenitalia.com At Naples centrale you will have to go downstairs take the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento, it takes around an hour, you can see the schedule on www.vesuviana.it/web/en

Posted by
32221 posts

Debbie, A few points to mention on the Circumvesuviana trains. These are primarily commuter trains, and will considerably less "posh" than the EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita trains that you'll likely use from Rome to Naples. In comparison, the Circumvesuviana is a bit of a graffiti covered "old clunker" but it will get you to Sorrento. One other important point to mention is that the Circumvesuviana has a bit of a reputation for petty theft, so be sure to wear a Money Belt and watch your luggage! Happy travels in Italy!