Please sign in to post.

Rome to Paris

Hello, can anyone help with buying train tickets from Italy (rome or venice) to paris? thanks

Posted by
8700 posts

You can get the best fares by booking at www.trenitalia.com/en/index2.html, but people often have trouble with the registration process which is required before you can book tickets. However, you can see the timetables and fares on that site without registering. You will have an easier time booking at www.raileurope.com, but the fares will be higher.

FYI, there are direct night trains for both routes as well as day trains.

Posted by
32201 posts

Kaline,

You might find it a bit easier to just buy the tickets when in Europe (as the locals do). Take a few minutes when you arrive in Rome or Venice, and buy the tickets for your outgoing journey. A reservation will probably required as well.

I assume from your Post that you won't be travelling with a Rail Pass?

Posted by
805 posts

If you don't have a railpass, I might also suggest you fly. Easyjet (easyjet.com) flies CIA (Rome Ciampino)-ORY (Paris Orly) about 20-40 euros (depending on the flight/time) per person and it takes about 2 hours. Myair (http://www.myair.com/docs/cust/en/index.shtml) flys from VCE (the main Venice airport) to ORY for as low as 10 euros a person in about 90 minutes.

Flying is oh so much more comfortable than long train trips IMHO.

Posted by
11 posts

I took the train from Rome to Paris, and in my opinion, I agree with the previous post - the plane is more comfortable for long distances. Also, I made the mistake of leaving on my international flight back to Canada the same day I arrived to Paris from Rome. I say it was a mistake, because our train broke down half way there! So when we finaly made it to Paris, it was a mad rush to get to a taxi so that I could make it to the airport on time. Happily I made it, but all along, as I was waiting on that train, I kept staring at my watch and hoping they'd get it working soon. Next time, if I take the train for such a long trip, I'll arrange my schedule so that I fly out the next day just in case anything crazy like this happens again...