Please sign in to post.

rick steves 20inch rolling carry on back pack and 2013 easyjet requirements

Hi, I want to buy the RS 20 inch rolling backpack so I will never have to check a bag while flying with EasyJet,Vueling and Ryanair this Sept.
I was wondering if anyone has flown on EasyJet since they changed their carry on size requirements to 19.7x15.7x7.9 inches using the Rick Steves 20 inch rolling back pack since July 2013 and had any problems with meeting the carry on requirements? I'm concerned that with the wheels, it won't fit in the box they use to measure before boarding the plane. I'm firm on the decision to buy a rolling backpack and not checking any luggage, but I am open to suggestions to other rolling backpacks other than Rick Steve's bag. Thanks in advance for any info

Posted by
19240 posts

As long as you limit yourself to the 2000 CI of contents you could carry with the rolling backpack, the Essential Carryon should fit into the box easily. The Essential Carryon, empty, weighs only 1¾ lb, almost 4 lb less than the roller, so it should be easy to carry. I've used my EC bag for six trips, three of them 2 weeks to Europe, without a problem.

Posted by
1840 posts

Lee, If that is the Campmor Essential Carry-on it is on sale right now for $29.98. This is a real bargain for anyone wanting to experiment with a convertible carry-on. I, too, have used one. They are as good as the Steves bags.

Posted by
19240 posts

Part of reason for the light weight of the Essential Carryon is the lighter weight material. That's no problem if you only carry it on; don't let the baggage gorillas have it.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the response, but I am looking for a rolling backpack. I looked up what you recommended and it's also bigger than the requirements set by Easyjet. Been having a really hard time finding a rolling backpack with those dimensions. Appreciate the response though

Posted by
19240 posts

The maximum dimensions ARE bigger than the EasyJet specs, but unlike a roller, this bag is soft and, if not stuffed, will morph to fit the sizing box. Roller bags are not necessary if you pack light, and, in this case, it would add 4 pounds, making it heavier when you use the backpack option.

Posted by
3317 posts

Hi Sally, I think if you google 18" rolling bookbags you will find some possibilities. They are backpacks. Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Pack-XW18-Rolling-Wheeled-School-Student-Backpack-Pack-Book-Laptop-Bag-/230942656654 I used bookbags for quite a few years so it should fit your gear. I now use a rolling bag with shoulder strap that was designed for business travel. I agree with you. I see no reason to carry when you can roll. No schlepping for me. It is seldom that one needs to carry a bag, and these are so light it is easy on the few occasions when it is needed. Wray

Posted by
1829 posts

The 56 x 45 x 25cm (including handles and wheels) is still classed as cabin luggage on Easyjet. What has changed is that, if you use smaller size bags, they will guarantee that it will stay with you and not run the risk of being gate checked (for free) if the overhead lockers are full. This is because the smaller size will fit under the seat in front. http://www.easyjet.com/planning/baggage PS - if you decide to take the chance and go with the standard size bag, pack your "valuables" in a small bag/purse inside it and, if necessary, take it out to go with you on board.