Please sign in to post.

reutte, austria

we are headed this summer to reutte from munich to see the castles. can you please recommend the best way to get to reutte from munich (train or car)and, once we get to reutte, the best way to see the castles (car or tour bus, etc)?

Posted by
19240 posts

You can get to Reutte easily by train. Take the train south to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, then change to a train going to Reutte in the direction of Kempten. That section, from Garmisch-Partenkirchen through the Austrian Tirol to Reutte (and on to Pfronten and Kempten) is part of the Außerfernbahn, and is included in a €28 Bayern-Ticket, which is all you need to get there. There are buses from Reutte to Füssen and Hohenschwangau (actual site of the castles).

However, I stopped in Reutte last August, on my way to Pfronten, and, IMO, it's a dump. I was far more impressed with Pfronten, which is just over the border in Germany. Pfronten has an abundance of reasonably priced accommodations (see example) on the main road through town, with frequent bus service to the Bahnhof and from there to Füssen Bahnhof and Hohenschwangau.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you take the train from Munich to Reutte, you'll pass through several towns where you would probably wished you had stayed instead. Nothing wrong with Reutte, as such. Just...meh. Garmisch-Partenkirchen is my favorite Bavarian Alpine resort town because of the amazing hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter. Mittenwald and Oberamergau are also two charming places to stay. The only drawback for these locales is that if you want to see the castles, public transportation is a little inconvenient.

If you're close by in the region, no need to take a bus tour. A bus tour won't get you any closer than you could drive yourself.

Posted by
19240 posts

Can you spell anything right? Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Oberammergau.

"The only drawback for these locales is that if you want to see the castles, public transportation is a little inconvenient."

Actually, there is a bus from Oberammergau to Hohenschwangau (the castles). It takes about 1½ hrs.

Posted by
2956 posts

Hi Katie,

I'd also pass on staying in Reutte. I wouldn't call it a dump, but I would say I can't figure out why Rick Steves recommends it. We prefer staying in Fussen, I mean Fuessen, to see the castles. (I just had to do that!).

Paul