Please sign in to post.

Renting a Car in Tuscany

In a couple weeks I will be taking a train from Rome to Chiusi, renting a car in Chiusi and exploring the Montepulciano/Pienza region, then onto the Chianti Region. The last night, we are staying in Radda before heading to Florence. We would like to drop off the car upon our arrival, as I hear driving in Florence is impossible! Do you know if there any rental car companies whose offices are located just outside of Florence, who also might have an office in Chiusi?

Posted by
536 posts

Hi Georgina - My thought , and what I've done quite a few times , is to drop off the car at The Florence Airport - No problem - relatively easy to get to . Driving within the city can be confusing, especially if you don't speak Italian.

Ciao, Greg

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks! I will take your advice and select a company that has a drop off location at the Florence Airport. I have heard horror stories about driving in Florence so I was worried to even drop off a car there. Glad to hear it's not too confusing to get there...I'm sure we'll be able to get by.

I will try your rental company suggestions as well! Thank you!

Posted by
3112 posts

I used Autoeurope last May and got a really good weekly rate. They work with several of the major rental car companies and frequently better their direct rates. I had an Avis car that I dropped off at the Florence airport, and then took the bus to the train station (20 minutes - 5 euro). It's wise to have a GPS with European maps when driving in Tuscany. Much less stress-free than trying to follow a map. Autoeurope sometimes runs specials that include a free GPS.