Please sign in to post.

Renting a Car in Italy

We have reserved a mini 2-door to pick up at Amerigo Vespucci airport in Florence for our trip in October. Cost is 284.70 Euros including taxes and fees. Can anyone tell me what we can expect to pay for the rental insurance - CDW or LDW? Thanks.

Posted by
1078 posts

Depending on who you rented from, it should be about 15 to 20E a day. Please make sure you pick up your International Driving Permit before you go; we were stopped and checked for the first time last March in Sicily, an if you don't have it, it's a heavy fine paid on the spot!

Posted by
1633 posts

I rent my cars from AutoEurope or Kemwel. They are auto brokers that use rental car companies such as Avis, Hertz, etc. You can check their website and they will quote prices that include CDW. Otherwise, you will need to call the rental company you are using to get their CDW prices. The last couple of times we have rented cars, we prefer to buy personal travel insurance that includes rental cars. We use Travel Guard. This way, we are fully covered. The tires, undercarriage, loss of use, etc. are all covered. Again, check with your rental car company. One other note so that we don't hear from you next year about a ticket. DO NOT drive into the city of Florence. There is a ZTL zone that you don't want to drive into, otherwise you will receive a hefty fine/ticket next year. Have a great trip.