Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Germany

We will be arriving in Munich on the night train via Venice and are thinking we would like to rent a car in Munich and drive to Grafenwohr. Does anyone know a car rental closest to the train station and who would have the best rates. We will be flying out of Munich a couple of days later so would it be better to return the car to the location that we picked it up or just take it to the airport before our flight. What would be the transportation options to get to the airport if we did drop it off at the train station on the way back. We were thinking maybe touring around the town a bit before our evening flight. What is the difficulty level of driving in Munich and surrounding area? I'm thanking anybody out there who can throw me as much information as possible. THANKS!!!

Posted by
5678 posts

I got a car through auto europe. Theoretically, I picked it up at the train station, but that turned out NOT to be the case, so take care. I had take a taxi to a deserted mall where I got the car. I was able to drop it off at Stuttgart airport with no trouble. On the positive side it was a great cabby. Check carefully. It was National Rental.

Pam

Posted by
3551 posts

Check with www.gemut.com for a car rental quote. they are helpful about best rates for pick up. Outside of Munich is easy driving, Bavaria and in Austria is easy. Normally highest rates are pick up at airports but not drop offs. Often times you will get a consolidator like autoeurope from Gemut who then selects a major car rental co. In Jul -Aug I averaged $32 a day for a 3 wk econ manual rental unlimited mileage.

Posted by
6788 posts

Another vote for Gemut.com. If you don't have a lot of experience with European car rentals, they can handle all the details and steer you in the best directions.

Posted by
12040 posts

Several rental car agencies operate out of the main Munich train station. Just follow the signs. Driving within Munich is not recommended. Much of the sites of interest lie within areas that are restricted to auto traffic, navigation is difficult and available parking is sparse. Once you get outside the city, however, driving is as easy as anywhere else in Western Europe.

Posted by
1358 posts

My experience with sixtusa.com has been great. Call and talk with an agent about your needs.

Phone 888 749 8227.

Always take your car at a remote office in the suburbs to avoid the airport fee on rentals.

I always ride public transportation to the office to avoid taxi fare. You can return the car to the airport office without charge.

Posted by
19227 posts

Why assume you need a car?

If you don't need a car in Grafenwöhr, you don't need one to get there. There is an 8:44 regional train leaving Muenchen Hbf. The trip includes abaut a 50 min bus ride from Weiden to Grafenwöhr at 12:24. Total cost for the trip is €27 for a Bayern-Ticket plus 2 x €6,90 for MVV tickets to Freising, the first stop after 9:00 - €40,80.

On the trip back, just a Bayern-Ticket is all you need. That would cover you bus and train to Munich, any transportation needs in Munich, and your S-Bahn to the airport.

€68 total. You can't rent a car for three days for that.

Posted by
31 posts

I rented a car at the Munich train station with Europe Car. Their office was located on the 2nd floor, it overlooks the track area. There is a stair case just inside the doors of the track area. I booked the car before I went over to Europe and everything went smooth. The car was located in a parking garage about 1-2 blocks outside the doors of the train station. It was very easy and convienient. The parking garage is very tight so I highly recommend getting a small car. I had a VW Golf and I had to be careful coming around the turns in the garage. Driving in Munich was interesting. None of the streets are straight but as long as you take your time and know which Autobahn you are looking for just follow the signs. Have fun.