Please sign in to post.

Renting a Car in Germany

Hi, I would like to rent a car in Germany to make a few side trips if possible. I would like to visit Bastogne for the Battle of the Buldge sites, and to Diekirch to visit the National Museum of Military History. I want to base ourselves in Germany, we then would like to venture to the Black Forest, return the car and move on to Munich. Any suggestions on where you would stay to see the sites mentioned above? I was thinking of 3-4 nights... Thanks for your help. Wendy

Posted by
850 posts

Maybe consider Trier, Germany as a base. Trier would also be close to the American Military Cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg where General Patton is buried. Many of those who lost their lives during the Battle of the Bulge are also buried there. Trier would be a bit of a drive on down to the Black Forest but it appears you would not be returning to Trier at that point of your trip. You can go to google maps for directions or Michelin and find the distances. The drive from Trier to Hamm is not bad at all.

Posted by
973 posts

Hi Wendy, Although RS suggests a different town for a base, we stayed in Bastogne on the square last Aug in the Hotel Collin- delightful room and luxurious bathrooms. The breakfasts were excellent. The Restaurant "Le 1900" was also excellent. We drove to Luxembourg for the museum, and the Ardennes were beautiful. I was sorry we only had 3 nights in the region, tho that was plenty for small Bastogne. The large TI is in the parking lot near the tank.
I would take earplugs and a mask as there are several restaurants and bars on the square and everyone parks in front of the hotels. Though other Bastogne hotels may claim to be the "best", the Collin would be a good hotel anywhere. Hope you sample some famous Ardennes ham.