Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Germany

We are planning on renting a car in Germany (we will also be going through some of Switzerland and France.) Only for 2 weeks. Any suggestions on places to rent through? Also, would it be better to get a diesel car?

Posted by
12040 posts

"(we will also be going through some of Switzerland" To legally drive an automobile in Switzerland, the car windshield must have a current vignette sticker. Depending on where you rent the car, the agency may be able to provide one for a fee, if you ask. Or, just buy one when you drive over the border. "Also, would it be better to get a diesel car?" Yes. Diesel fuel is slightly cheaper over here than regular petroleum and you'll get much better mileage.

Posted by
864 posts

We always try to rent our car somewhere in Germany, usually at the airport. Our reservation is never screwed up and we get what we asked for. Hopefully you will be returning your car in Germany as well. Price can go way up otherwise. Diesel is better than gas. Hopefully you can drive a stick otherwise your price goes up again. Upon entering Switzerland you will be waived over at the border to the officer selling your decal. I might be totally wrong on this but I think it was about $50, pricey at any rate. When you see how many tunnels and other road hazards they have to deal with it the price doesn't sting so much. Take a good atlas. GPS is fine until the detour.

Posted by
638 posts

I rented through Hertz, except for some of the paperwork that was printed in German no difference then renting here. And on the autobahn, stay to the right! When passing check your rear view mirrors, then recheck them, it's amazing how fast cars can get up to you. After passing immediately move back to the right, and don't pass on the left. Pay close attention to the speed limit signs, contrary to popular belief, it's not always unlimited, they have camera systems to catch speeders.

Posted by
1167 posts

Check out www. gemut.com. They guarantee the lowest price.

Posted by
1064 posts

Supposedly, you can get the best deals by renting in advance. At least that is the conventional wisdom; I have never checked it by waiting until I am at the airpprt. Do check online with some of the major brands -- Sixt, Europcar, Hertz, etc. Europcar usually offers a discount on some models if you are willing to pay in advance. Then, check out gemut and, if they offer a better price on the same car and company, go with them.

Posted by
705 posts

We've used AutoEurope.com several times with good results. They are actually a broker so you end up getting the car from Europcar or Hertz or etc. They are located in Maine so its easy to connect over the phone and get all questions asked. Currently they are offering a free GPS for a rental of your length. Good luck.

Posted by
16 posts

I rented from Hertz in Dusseldorf and ped it off in Franfurt. Diesel is the way to go (almost all cars in Germany are) and stick is standard. I got 34 MPG in a Ford Mondeo (looks like a Focus), had a GPS (a must IMO), and it had back up sensors for parking which was great to have. Enjoy the drive and remember to keep your eye in the rearview mirror as they tend to fly down the Autobahn flashing the headlights to get you to move over.

Posted by
1167 posts

Just to clarify: When Barry said "don't pass on the left" I am sure he meant don't pass a vehicle that is ON your left.