Please sign in to post.

renting a car in France

I will be going to southwestern france (Montpellier) and I want to travel around that area in a car. What is the best (cheapest/most reliable) rental agency people have found?

Posted by
8700 posts

I've been very pleased with Auto Europe, a consolidator that finds you the best deal from among the companies with which it has contracts. If you find a better deal on your own, AE promises to either match or beat it. Book well in advance from home. While you can do everything online, calling AE's toll-free number and asking about any specials that don't appear on the Web site may get you an even lower price.

Posted by
1358 posts

Do a google search for discount 'auto rentals France' for a list of agencies you can research for rental rates. They will all be different and will also vary from day to day; so search as often as you can.

Posted by
3551 posts

No question autoeurope. I use them every year for my european rentals.

Posted by
875 posts

I, too, used Auto Europe and was very pleased with the service & car.

Posted by
15 posts

Last Fall, I used Sixt. I got a reasonable price for a car in great condition. After reserving the car I emailed then asking for a GPS. They said that they would reserve one at no cost. The franchise knew nothing about it and was very apologetic. When we returned the car, the agent volunteered to drive us the the train station. We had had a bit of a fender bender and it took several months for VISA to refund the deductible I had to pay but that was because of having to wait for and translate the repair order.

I'll probably use them again next year. I've researched the costs of rentals at the Marseilles airport. The price spread was about 10%.. So, I guess it how they treat yuo if you have a problem is the deciding factor.

Bon vacanes!
Jeff