Please sign in to post.

Rental cars

I plan on renting a car when landing in Brindisi, Italy, but don't want to get too big a car. Which do you think will be big enough,I don't know the size of these cars and i hope you might be familiar with them. Car needs to be big enough for 2 people, 2 large suitcases and 2 carry on's. I was thinking of a (Renault Clio, or similar 4 door) or (Ford Ka, Hyundai Velostar: 2 door)

Posted by
2911 posts

Hi Betty, I'd go with the Renault Clio class of car... a 4 door hatchback. The Ford Ka is a bit small. We had similar luggage on a recent trip and had a Ford Fiesta (4 door hatchback). We did need the back seats for a large suitcase and having the 4 doors made life easier. Paul

Posted by
6788 posts

First, what you describe above will fit in virtually any car you might rent. Second - the car names the agencies list are just an example of the class of car you're reserving - don't count on getting Car Model X because you probably won't - you'll get what they have (more or less about the same size as what you reserved - probably). I would probably cross this off my list of things to worry about.

Posted by
32219 posts

Betty, When renting a car in Italy, be sure that you're aware of the usual "caveats" regarding driving in Italy. If you need more information, post another note. Happy travels!

Posted by
1633 posts

In looking at the "resource" tab on the AutoEurope website, it shows the Renault Clio having 9 cu feet of trunk space. Are the "carry ons" 21" carry on pieces of luggage? One of my requirements for a rental car is that I must be able to fit all of my luggage in the trunk or hatchback portion of the car. Because of security/theft issues, I do not put any luggage on the back seat. I would call an agent at AutoEurope, or similar agency, and ask them about the space required for your luggage.