Please sign in to post.

Rental cars

I know many questions have been asked about renting cars in Europe. I'm wondering about how you figure the cost of the fee's, and are there specific questions to ask about costs/fees? I have heard that you can't discuss some things like (I think) the "comprehensive" insurance until you arrive at the rental counter. We did the Puegot buy-back last year and it was awesome - everything included, no worries, no hassles. That was pick up and drop off in France and this year it will be arrive in Paris and go home from probably Grenada - I know the renatl and buy-back both have a drop-off fee for a different country> Your thoughts? Thanks for your help with this often resurrected topic.

Posted by
3313 posts

Yes, if you reserve through Autoeurope or a similar agent you should have all your costs established well in advance. There shouldn't be any fees to be negotiated at pick-up.

Posted by
8700 posts

Dropping your first car in France near the French-Spanish border, taking public tranportation across the border, and picking up a second car in Spain probably will be cheaper than picking up a single car in France and dropping it in Spain.

Posted by
45 posts

Thank you all for your helpful input. I looked up AuotoEurope and saw the difference between the "Basic" and the "Inclusive". I had been told that the you still had to buy down the deductible so it wouldn' be astromical, but these prices look lots better. We may also do the cross the border on public transport thing, but we're possibly crossing kind of "out in the boonies", so we may eat the drop off cost and just go for it. Thanks again.

Posted by
9110 posts

Where's 'out in the boonies'? There ain't too many ways across those hills.

Posted by
42 posts

Try gemut.com, they were very helpful and quite cheaper than the online prices I found.

Posted by
94 posts

I just rented a car in Paris from AutoEurope and there were addtional taxes and fees around $45 when I returned my car.