Please sign in to post.

Rental cars

We are renting a car for travel in France. A broker called Autoeurope has much cheaper prices than the companies such as Hertz, Avis; however, I saw some reviews online that were not favorable. Does anyone know anything about their customer service and would you recommend?

Posted by
9110 posts

They're love-hate with me. Got another screw job from them last month, so they're off the list for a couple of years again.

Posted by
3590 posts

We've used them a lot and have had no complaints. The story is different with the rental companies, themselves. Bad experiences with Avis (Spain) and National (Greece); but the worst has been Hertz in Sicily. To call them cheating, conniving liars is to put it mildly.

Posted by
10170 posts

We've used Autoeurope for fifteen yers without a problem. If anything they have acted as the go-between when we've had problems with the rental company.

Posted by
1446 posts

I guess it can differ. We had bad luck a number of years ago with Autoeurope and since then have used Hertz with great luck (in England and France).

Posted by
1021 posts

Check the companies direct as sometimes deals and discounts don't appear on search engines. Sixt has always had the best deals when we've traveled to France.

Posted by
10201 posts

I've used AutoEurope 4 times and have no complaints. They have been easy to deal with. They are a consolidator, so you will still be getting your car from a company like Hertz and Avis.

Posted by
2916 posts

I've used both AutoEurope and their sister company Kemwel many times over the years and never had a problem. I'd highly recommend either one.

Posted by
41 posts

My husband and I always use Kemwel and have been very happy with them.

Posted by
931 posts

Claire, Autoeurope is a broker based in Maine, that reps all of the major rental agencies. We have used them for years in every major/minor EU country, and have never had a problem....but each company "site" they use is different and unique. Someone might like Hertz at one site, and someone might hate Hertz (or someone else) at another. No matter who you rent from, read your policy and ensure that you understand ALL of the fees, and what your real "Excess" deductible is.
Go to their website and play around; you can pick the rental agency, your choice of pick-up and drop off locations, etc. That is what we like. They give us a great base to start. The we can go use Kayak, Costco, etc, to see if we can find a better rate/policy, etc.

Posted by
2025 posts

We have also been pleased with Autoeurope for several rentals. I like their website for ease of planning as noted above. But I really like talking to them...the staff are friendly, patient,and helpful. They have found better rates than I had, promptly saved me $80 when I saw the rate go down ( caveat emptor)and immediately handled an error made by the German end of the deal just last month. So far, so good.