Please sign in to post.

rental car insurance

Prior to a recent trip to the UK and the Netherlands I purchased relatively comprehensive travel insurance that included car rental coverage. Rick suggests using Travel Guard as it is accepted throughout Europe but I gave CSA a try as the rest of the policy seemed to fit my needs better. Both Thrifty in the UK and Europcar in the Netherlands did not accept my insurance and insisted on my buying their coverage or use my credit card coverage. Has anyone successfully used third party car rental insurance overseas? If so, what companies did you use? Is Travel Guard the one to use as Rick says or is it dependent on the car rental company?
Thanks for any comments.

Posted by
32329 posts

Don, These days I normally just accept the comprehensive (and pricey) CDW offered by the car rental firm, as it just seems like the easiest solution. I've used credit card coverage in the past, but found that to be somewhat complicated and with a lot of exclusions and conditions, so haven't bothered with it for awhile. You might find it helpful to download the car rental guide at gemut.com as that has a section on rental car insurance. Happy travels!

Posted by
29 posts

If you carry an American Express card, check out their premium rental car coverage. It is pretty comprehensive. You register your card, then Amex adds a charge of $25 when you use the card to pay for your rental. Sorry, I don't know if other card companies offer similar.