Please sign in to post.

RealId enforcement now delayed until May 2025

Numerous news outlets, government sites, etc. Blamed on states' processing backlog due to Covid shutdowns and delays.

Posted by
11179 posts

Umm, wasn't this program prompted by the 9/11 attacks?

I wonder what it takes to instill a sense of urgency?

Posted by
2745 posts

I wonder what it takes to realize this won’t do anything to make you any more safe. Obviously if this was actually needed, there would have been incidents because we don’t have it.

I’m not surprised it got delayed again and I won’t be surprised when next year they push it again. It’s all theater.

Posted by
9567 posts

Oklahoma has the possibility to conform with the standard, but doesn't require it.

I was just looking over all this last week when I was home with my folks to see what they would need when it comes time to renew their licenses next year. But now it's not an issue -- again.

Posted by
16250 posts

As residents of Washington State, my husband and I have been watching this. We weren’t all that concerned, however, as we both have passport cards and Global Entry cards that could be used for TSA security.

Posted by
8440 posts

In my state, you can choose a Real ID-complaint license or not. Many people object to what was once demanded as an anti-terrorism security measure.

Posted by
2267 posts

When I renewed my New York license a couple of years ago I could do it online without RealID, or apply for a new Social Secirity card so I could go to the DVM and pay extra to get the RealID. Knowing I'd procrastinate the bigger chore, I went the easy route to avaoid driving without a valid license. Maybe I'll convert it someday. Maybe... (I have other qualifying forms of identification.)

Posted by
820 posts

@joe23f - yeah, NYS is pretty much the same for an EDL, the REAL ID act standardized documents across the states.

Posted by
305 posts

When my wife needed to renew her license just before Oregon (late to the table) started offering RealId, so she didn't get it. She's heading to Prague and the UK next May, but that wouldn't have been an issue b/c she'll need her passport. And now there is even more time.

I needed to renew mid-2020, but managed to book an in-person renewal at a DMV office so upgraded in the middle of Covid. Haven't travelled domestically since.

Posted by
11179 posts

How do I get Real ID

Visit your state’s driver’s licensing agency website to find out exactly what documentation is required to obtain a REAL ID. At a minimum, you must provide documentation showing: 1) Full Legal Name; 2) Date of Birth; 3) Social Security Number; 4) Two Proofs of Address of Principal Residence; and 5) Lawful Status.
States may impose additional requirements, so check with your state’s driver’s licensing agency website, before visiting them in person, for additional guidance and assistance.
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/real-id-faqs

I find it odd that a passport works at any airport, but to get REAL ID you need more than a passport.

Posted by
820 posts

@joe32f

The DL conveys ability to drive as well as residence, plus identity. The passport conveys nationality and identity. Two different things.

Ftr, they're both REAL ID Compliant, there's other things that are, too:

TWIC cards
Global Entry, NEXUS, etc cards
Active Duty Military cards and some retiree cards

Posted by
4318 posts

Joe 32F, we thought the same thing. I'm wondering if the states are trying to make this as cumbersome as possible so they won't have to issue these.

Posted by
1943 posts

Was actually pretty easy in VA if you had utility bills with your address. When I had to renew I went ahead to get the Real ID, because someday it will be needed especially after all the money thrown at it and the states implementation and then all the procrastinators will be at the DMV which is not a place I recommend- I think most of the employees are failed TSA agents. I highly recommend just getting it when you renew. One less thing to worry about but then I'm a planner.

Posted by
8440 posts

I find it odd that a passport works at any airport, but to get REAL ID you need more than a passport.

My interpretation from following this RealID thing for so many years. The Act of Congress (2005) that created the Real ID, was a determination that the Federal government would not depend on the 50+ states' drivers licensing to have done reliable enough verification of identity and residence/citizenship status to be dependable as a form of universally recognized ID. Since the idea of a national identity card was and is politically unacceptable to US citizens, the result was to require standardization of the information collected for DLs to verify. And it's not just airport security, it's about access to federal facilities. Some people are still concerned about terrorism.

Passports are issued by the federal government, so the federal government has implicitly verified your identity.

There was no processing backlog in my state, just objection to government mandates. Our legislature blocked the DMV from even planning for introduction for years. Using the ability to drive a car as proof of your identity is a US thing that we may be used to, but doesn't really make much sense.

Posted by
9567 posts

Some states, however -- well heck I am talking about Oklahoma -- even when they got everything together to start issuing Real ID-compliant licenses, I guess they didn't invest in quality equipment, because the machines were breaking and so the tag agencies were having a hell of a time serving their customers (Oklahoma has a weird system where you go to privately owned tag agencies to get your driver's license, get your vehicle titles, get your plates etc). So they absolutely experienced backlogs with Real ID because the equipment that they had been made to purchase was so shoddy.

Posted by
2745 posts

In Georgia when you take that pile of documents to the drivers license people to get your real ID they look at your passport look at your old drivers license but they never touch the rest of that pile of paper I put together. Same thing with my mother when I took her in this year to get her new ID

It’s a joke.