Please sign in to post.

Rail Travel - Zurich > Lauterbrunnen > Paris > London

We are planning a Switzerland, Paris and London vacation. Will be taking the train as follows: Zurich > Lauterbrunnen > Paris > London My question - Is there is single Euro train (per person) ticket that we can buy that will cover all the above stops to make it easy and economical? We are a family of 4 - 3 adults and 1 child. Any help, suggestions and advice welcome!
Thank you in advance!

Posted by
6898 posts

Moushumi, there is no single train ticket for two of your three journeys. In fact, you will have one train ticket for each train that you will be on. For Zurich/Lauterbrunnen, this could be 3-4 tickets - Zurich Flughafen (airport) to Zurich Main, Zurich Main to Interlaken Ost and finally, Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen. You may even have a 4th ticket if you have the additional train change at Bern. Works the same coming back to Zurich or Basel for your journey to Paris. Works the same way on airplanes as well. You should only be on one train from Paris to London. Just be sure to be at the train station at least 30 minutes early to complete your check-in. Eurostar rules.

Posted by
20072 posts

Clarifying, each would have one ticket that covers Zurich airport to Lauterbrunnen. The journey would entail changing trains at Bern and Interlaken Ost. Journey to Paris would be one ticket each person with changes at Interlaken Ost and Basel. There may be some reduction if any of the adults are 60 or over, and also for the child depending on the age. You can estimate the prices and look at train times at www.sbb.ch. Purchasing in advance may also get some reductions.

Posted by
32201 posts

Moushumi, As the others have mentioned, there is no single ticket for the trips you'll be taking, especially as you'll be using a number of different rail systems. For trips in Switzerland, you'll be using Swiss Rail, with prices listed in Swiss Francs. From Zürich to Interlaken Ost, you'll use the SBB trains, and from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen, you'll use the small Berner Oberland rail system. For the trip from Lauterbrunnen to Paris, you'll likely be using Swiss Rail from Interlaken Ost to Basel, and then high speed TGV from there to Paris. Note that travel on the TGV has compulsory reservations, which will be included with the tickets you buy. Also note that there are a number of different rail stations in Paris, so you'll have to use Metro or Taxi to get from your arrival station to the section of Paris where your hotel is located. For the trip from Paris to London, you'll be travelling via EuroStar which also has compulsory reservations. I'd suggest pre-purchase of tickets well in advance, as significant savings are possible. Note that you'll depart form Gare du Nord in Paris and arrive at London St. Pancras. One other VERY important note is that you MUST check-in at least 30-minutes prior to departure, or you won't be riding! You'll go through airport style security for the EuroStar and will clear U.K. Passport control in Paris. You may find it helpful to have a look at the excellent Man in Seat 61 website for good information on rail travel in Europe. Happy travels!

Posted by
32735 posts

when is the trip? Default prices on SBB.ch assume that a half price card is used. You may be able to have free Swiss travel for the child. Ages? You'll love that trip!!!

Posted by
84 posts

Thank you all for all your invaluable informations. We will have a 19-yr old and a 13-yr old with us.

Posted by
32735 posts

If Lola wanders by she knows all about using the various Swiss passes, as do some others, and about the family discounts. It would be worth having a look around the SBB.ch or rail.ch websites. I believe that there is a family card which would allow your younger child free travel in Switzerland.

Posted by
32735 posts

How much time have you got to plan this trip - when are you going?

Posted by
6898 posts

Moushumi, if you ask for the Swiss Family card when you buy any Swiss train ticket, pass or card, the 13-year old will ride all Swiss transportation for free as long as he or she is accompanied by at least one parent. This includes the expensive Jungfraun and Schilthorn mountain tops.

Posted by
84 posts

Thanks for all your inputs. Larry, we will be taking the train from Lauterbrunnen to Paris. The more I am trying to understand the train systems and the numerous passes, the more confused I am! Our plan is to spend 3 days at Lauterbrunnen with trips to various points of interest including the Jungfraun. Can anyone please suggest which would be the most economical - no pass, Swiss half-fare pass, Swiss pass, 3-day pass or some other pass that I am missing? Family pass is free, right? Also, should we buy them online or at the Zurich Airport? How about EuroStar? How far ahead of time do they pre-sell?
Thank you all so much, again!

Posted by
32735 posts

Eurostar releases their tickets 120 days out. They are the cheapest that day and then go up. I have heard that they are available earlier in the USA, and in Texas. Why don't you go to www.eurostar.com and see how far out they will let you buy? Then you will also be familiar with the website when you are ready to book.

Posted by
6898 posts

Moushumi, if you are going to the Jungfrau, a Swiss pass or card is recommended. The regular round trip fare is about $190. When you arrive in Switzerland, I suggest that you consider the Swiss 1/2 fare card. It costs 120CHF and is good for 30 days. With the card, you pay 1/2 fare on all Swiss transportation. When you buy this card, also ask for the free Swiss Family Card. The child, if under 16 years of age, travels free everywhere (including the Jungfrau) as long as he or she is with one parent with a valid ticket. Examples of fare savings are Zurich to Lauterbrunnen. Normally about 84CHF. 1/2 fare is 42CHF. Your ahead 42CHF already. 1/2 fare savings for the Jungfrau is about 85CHF. You've now paid for the 1/2 fare card. Continue to use the card until you leave Switzerland. It will be good to the Swiss border. Just show it to the agent when you buy your tickets to Paris.