Please sign in to post.

Rail travel in Europe

This is my first go at all rail travel. I plan on flying into Amsterdam for a couple of days then getting on the train with stops in Belgium (Brussels), France, and end in Italy where I will stay for a few days. I will only stay in Brussels and France for no more than 2 days. My question is do I need to bother with overnight trains with any of these routes in the order that I am traveling or are they close enough for me to just do day travel? Do you suggest RSVP's for any of these routes? Also, what tips on train travel do any of you have for me? Like I said I'm use to jumping on the plane and making home in one country and traveling on the regional trains so any advice or "watch out for" advice I can get is helpful. I will be traveling in late December or early January for about 2-3 weeks. Thanks.

Posted by
9106 posts

There's no overnight train service from Amsterdam to Brussels or Paris as the journey only takes four hours (AMS to Paris). From Amsterdam to Brussels you don't need to make any advance reservations, take the regular inter-city trains, they run at least once an hour fare is about 35 euros. You can check schedules at www.bahn.de From Brussels to Paris the Thalys high-speed train provides direct service. You will need to book in advance for this service at www.thalys.com. From Paris to Italy you'll need to provide some more details to where you are heading.

Posted by
3 posts

I will be leaving Paris and heading into the Florence station Santa Maria Novella. I am purchasing the 4 country pass 6 days in 2 months. Do I have to purchase a separte ticket for the Thayle train or will my pass cover the transfer to that train? Sorry for questions that probably sound dumb, but the more I read the rail information the crazier I feel. Thanks for your insight!

Posted by
32228 posts

Tracy,

If you haven't done so already, you may want to download the free PDF Rail Guide from this website (click on the "Railpasses" tab at the top. You could also read the "Rail Skills" chapter in Europe Through The Back Door.

You might want to type each of the rail trips you'll be taking into www.railsaver.com to see which pass it suggests. With only a few journeys, you may be better with P-P tickets. One thing to keep in mind is that your Railpass will NOT include reservation fees for those trains where these are compulsory (usually the "fast trains" such as the TGV, etc.) - you'll have to pay those separately.

For the trip from Paris to Florence, I found one train (using an arbitrary date) that departs Gare du Lyon at 07:43, arriving Firenze S.M.N. at 17:39 (time 9H:57M, 1 change at Milano Centrale, reservations compulsory). You'll have to double check that in a few months, when they have the schedules posted for December. If I had lots of time, I'd probably use that as I find travel by train much more relaxing that air travel.

That's a fairly long trip by train, so if your time is limited you could also consider using a budget airline, perhaps EasyJet from Paris Orly to Pisa. The train ride from Pisa to Florence is relatively short.

Happy travels!

Posted by
4132 posts

By comparison, the night train takes 12 hours (but in theory you are asleep for some of it) and gets into Milan at 5:20 where you must transfer.

There seem to be three basic feelings about night trains: love them, hate them, or decide they are worth the potential discomfort.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks to both of you! Lots of really good info. Cleared everything up. I have downloaded the maps and guides and get the big picture. I usually travel by air and after using the trains in Italy to get from one region to the next I fell in love with the relaxed and more scenic rail travel. Can't wait.