Please sign in to post.

Rail Travel

My spouse and I are going to Paris for work and want to take the rail from Paris to Linkoping Sweden. I think these means changing trains and over night travel. Do we need reservations?
What should we look out for?

Posted by
8700 posts

Another route given on the German Rail site is a Thalys train from Paris to Koeln, a City Night Line train from Koeln to Koebenhavn, and a X2000 train from Koebenhavn to Linköping. Depart at 17:55 and arrive at 15:01. All three legs require reservations. Whichever route you choose, booking each leg separately well in advance (up to 90 days allowed) can get you some very reasonably-priced discount fares. According to the search engine skyscanner.com, your cheapest flight choices would be CDG-Koebenhavn-Linköping on SAS. The total travel time ranges from 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Posted by
23460 posts

Almost all trains, especially long distance, require reservations. But not sure what you are asking. With the difficulty of getting from Paris to Sweden, might be a better choice to fly.

Posted by
33209 posts

However you do it, by train, it will take from 21 to 25 hours. Some connections will not involve sleeping on the train, but not much sleep anywhere as you will be in Malmo for 4 hours from 1 to 5 in the morning; others involve a City Night Line train with the possibility of sleepers. Possibly the best choice might be CityNightLine 50451 departing Paris Gare de L'Est at 20:05, arriving Hamburg for breakfast at 8:37. 51 minutes for a connection to an ICE for Copenhagen arriving at 14:14, a 15 minute connection to an X2000 train arriving in time for dinner at 18:01. All this is available at the DBahn website. The first and last train have compulsory reservations. ... or you may consider a cheap flight? BTW - the title you selekted for your thread is pretty vague. Usually the more specific the title of the thread and the more specific the question the better (for you ) the answers.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the tips it is very helpful I think we are up for the adventure of the train!