Please sign in to post.

Rail Reservations

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Europe and have some anxiety about train travel. Sorry if this question has been covered before. We looked and couldn’t find the exact answer.

Reservations – This has been a real curiosity. As we see it, you can either get reservations before leaving via websites, for a price, or wait until getting to Europe to buy them. We are flying into Amsterdam. If we know the trains we will be taking throughout Europe, can we walk into a travel agency (in Amsterdam) and make all the daytime and overnight reservations at one time? Should we get reservations at a train station instead?

Examples of potentially difficult train routes (mid-May):
Amsterdam to Paris on a Tuesday morning
Paris to Annecy on a Friday morning
Night train from Nice to La Spezia on a Tuesday evening (11 days after we arrive in Europe)

Posted by
505 posts

Greetings

For night trains and busy times, you should definitely book ahead. Also check to see whether prices will be more expensive for walk up fares - they are, for instance, in the UK, but not in Belgium.

The night train should be booked ahead because you must have a reservation, and I'd probably book the Amsterdam-Paris leg because that's very popular and you don't want to be standing the whole time.

In anycase, you would buy tickets online or at a railway station - using a travel agency would be silly because they'd just add on extra charges.

Kate