Please sign in to post.

Rail Passes

I'm planning a trip to France, Germany and Italy. I'm flying into London and taking the chunnel train to Paris (just for the experience). I'm thinking a 10 travel day over 2 months pass for 3 countries will be enough but I will be travelling through Austria (to get from Germany to Italy) and possibly Belgium (going from Lille, France to Berlin) on the trip. Do I have to buy a 5 country pass or will the 3 country pass work as long as I don't get off the train in those other countries?

Posted by
19240 posts

If you travel in a train across Austria, one that stops in Austria (e.g., Innsbruck), you will need a rail pass that includes Austria, even if you don't get off in Austria. There is one exception I know of; if you go from Salzburg to Innsbruck on an Austrian train (ie, OEBB) that goes across Germany without stopping (from Salzburg to Kufstein), you don't need Germany as a country. Just about every train I see from Lille to Berlin stops in Belgium, so you would also need Belgium as a country.

Posted by
14808 posts

Casey, First of all, keep in mind that France is no longer a party to the Pass, which includes 3 countries,... a real pity. France withdrew from that arrangement. To get to Berlin from northern France, such as from Lille, you can avoid going through Belgium. I suggest this route: take the TGV from Lille to Paris, direct. Then cross over to Gare de l'Est to take the ICE to Berlin, transfering once in Frankfurt, a very good connection. Both legs, Paris-Frankfurt Hbf. and Frankfurt Hbf to Berlin Hbf., are on the ICE. This way you avoid the Thalys train and Belgium. You'll need point to point tickets to cover from Lille to Paris and Paris Est to Saarbrücken. From Saarbrücken to Berlin (changing in Frankfurt) use a Pass day. You will be in Berlin by 21:00. As for the Pass if you decide on that, get the Austria-Germany 10 day one, no need to include Italy or Belgium.

Posted by
14808 posts

Hi, If you're going directly to Paris from London, ie.,skipping Lille, on the EuroStar, that stops at Paris Nord (Gare du Nord). A point to point ticket from Paris Est will get you to the German border with the first stop at Saarbrücken.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the response guys. Looks like I will either get the Global Pass for 21 days and just go point to point for the first couple days through France, or go point to point the whole trip. I'm going to have to check the prices but it might be a wash because of the reservation fees on some trains even with the passes. Anyway, the info was really helpful.
Casey

Posted by
14808 posts

Hi, If you do decide on getting the Global Pass, that is valid in France, no need to buy point to point tickets unless you are going on TER (regional) trains in France. Use the Pass to ride on the TGV and ICE trains and the CNL night trains.

Posted by
19240 posts

Certainly look at the German Rail (Bahn) website for their ticket prices. German Rail offers advance purchase online Europa-Spezial tickets for routes with one end inside Germany for as little as little as 39€/person. They also offer advance purchase online Savings Fare tickets for routes entirely within Germany for as little as 29€ for 1st person, 20€ for 2nd to 5th person. Actually, for short distances (250 km, I think) they offer discount tickets for as little as 19€ for 1st person, 10€ each additional. Individual states offer one day, on/off passes for regional trains for fares starting at 26€ for 2 people. Flexibility just costs money. I'll bet you're not buying your airline ticket the day you fly to Europe. Not having firm accommodation plans is also expensive. Once I have definite overnight plans, the connecting rail plan, particularly if going a significant distance that takes most of the day, become pretty inflexible. The time for flexibility is in the planning phase.

Posted by
33556 posts

But do the math. Carefully. There's a better than even chance that the pass will wind up costing you significantly, even very significantly, more than if you buy the tickets you need and only the tickets you need. Don't use RailEurope for ticket pricing. Use the national railways of each country - if you need help there are plenty of folk here who will help get you the very rock bottom prices - and get your tickets ahead, just like a flight. Some Italian bullet trains, for example, can be purchased from .Italo or Trenitalia for as little as €19. The passholder reservation fee is €10 on those trains and you'll never find a pass as low as €9 a day. The French bullet trains, the TGV, severely ration the number of passholder tickets available for many trains. You also have to pay the passholder reservation fee. You may find that with the pass you pay more than if you had just bought a ticket, particularly one ahead.
How much is that Global pass, anyway? The Eurostar can be purchased much lower than the passholder fare, if you get them far enough out. Take all the money we will save you, buy us all a round, and have a few bang-up dinners and then put the rest in the bank.

Posted by
4 posts

Hahaha! That's awesome Nigel! Yeah just last night I looked at all my expected trips in first class with and without the pass and found out I'd save $80 with the pass but if I went 2nd class once or twice it was the same. So it looks like a pass would be a waste. That was rail Europe prices. Have only checked Trenitalia website so far but I will check out the other ones like you said. Maybe I'll find better prices. I'm trying to keep my plans flexible so I can't really buy too far in advance but I'll definitely do that when I can. Thanks for the info.
Casey

Posted by
4 posts

That's a good point Lee but I'm in a different situation. I work for the airline so my airline travel is very flexible and extremely inexpensive. I have some time in Europe with a lot of things I'd like to see but nothing I have to see. If I don't get to everything I have the opportunity to return without great expense. So I'm somewhat fortunate that flexibility is affordable. But on the whole I agree with you. Your info on German rail is great. I'll keep my eyes out for the specials. Thanks
Casey

Posted by
14808 posts

Hi, You could do the math or don't bother. Calculate the rides you'll be doing in Euro, not dollars. The Euro price for the Global Pass stays the constant (pretty much so), the $ price goes up. Check on it every 2-3 weeks. When you calculate and buy point to point tickets, the prices will be in Euro. With the time period you have, I still would get a Pass but not the Global, just the Austria-Germany 10 day/2 months. Just buy point to point for the flanking countries when crossing them...Italy, Holland, Belgium, CZ (?).