Please sign in to post.

rail pass

If I buy a pass, does it only use one day of train to take multiple trains in one day going from Germany to Italy?

Posted by
23282 posts

First, to answer your question -- all the train in one 24 hour period unless, of course, the pass does not cover a particular train. Second, make absolutely certain that the pass will save your money. With extra fees for seat reservations and the advance sales discount tickets for p2p, rail pass are no longer a no brainer good deal they once were.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for your response. I am traveling in May so I don't plan on making any reservations or special seats. Just the basic so I am hoping to avoid any extra fees. I plan on traveling train in Germany and Italy. What types of fees should I look out for?

Posted by
8700 posts

The 24 hours are from midnight to midnight, all within the same calendar day. Exception: If you take a night train that departs after 19:00 and you don't get off until after 04:00 the next morning, you only use one day of your pass (the day that begins after midnight). Some of your legs are likely to be on high speed trains. Most of those trains require seat reservations and passholders have to pay a supplemental fee to get them. The reservation fee for EuroStar Italia trains is €10.00. For IC trains it is €3.00. No reservations are possible for regionale trains. For travel within Germany only ICE Sprinter trains require seat reservations. For other ICE trains they are optional and the cost is €4.50. Reservations are likely to be required on international routes between Germany and Italy.

Posted by
6653 posts

Lyndsey, have you got a good idea which cities you want to visit? As Frank was saying, it's good to check the cost of individual legs of travel by train - the advance-sale deals are very good at www.bahn.de - and it's also good to consider flights. For example, if you'll be in Munich or elsewhere in southern Germany, you can fly Ryanair out of Memmingen to Rome for under 20 Euros on some flights in May. A selectpass for Germany/Switzerland/Italy (you can't get to Italy without going through SW or Austria!) might be a good deal for you, or it might not. It all depends on what the legs of travel would cost individually vs. via railpass.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks, very helpful. We have ideas of a few cities, but kind of leaving the itinerary open. I did look at a flight from Frankfurt to Milan however and that is a great deal! Thanks for the input. Would I have a problem getting on a train if I don't make reservations? Not necessarily long train rides, mainly just short rides from town to town.

Posted by
23282 posts

Only IF the train does not require a seat reservation. Nearly all trains except the locals or regional trains now require a seat reservation. And you do not want to waste a day of your ticket by taking a short ride on a local train.

Posted by
12040 posts

"Nearly all trains except the locals or regional trains now require a seat reservation." Not exactly. Even on the fastest ICE trains in Germany, reservations are not required... you have to still pay a nominal extra fee. On the non-Thalys trains in Belgium and the Netherlands, reservations are neither necessary nor possible. Might be a different case in other countries whose rail systems I am less familiar with.

Posted by
32805 posts

Lyndsey I'm not sure that you completely understand everything you need to know about using your pass. If I'm right, can I help please? There are two components of travel, transportation from origin to destination, and accommodation on the train. Sometimes you will want to lie down on a couchette or berth; sometimes sit in a seat, sometimes stand. Your pass, should you choose to buy one, provides the transportation but not the accommodation. There are trains which have mandatory reservations - these are sleeper trains and faster trains in many countries, especially France and Italy, and the Thalys system between France, Belgium and Netherlands. There are also trains with optional seat reservations, and the local trains. If you buy point to point tickets, even for a sleeper or high speed train, the price you pay will include both parts of your travel. Also - the down side - if you take a normal train that does not offer seat reservations where all seats around you are taken you will have to stand. If you use a pass on a train with mandatory reservations you must buy reservations before you board. If you buy a ticket restricted to one type of train and travel on a "better" train you are liable for a big fine, same if you travel on a mandatory reservation train without one. This all probably sounds really complicated. It isn't: If you use a pass make absolutely sure you buy any required reservations. If you have a ticket for a lesser train such as Regionale don't try to use it on a higher type such as IC or ES. If you buy P2P (point to point) get the cheapest fares well ahead if you can commit to specific trains and times. It is really, really rare that passes when reservations are included are cheaper. Good Luck, and Pleasant Travelling

Posted by
19099 posts

If you buy tickets with reservations, either full fare or discounted, online, from the Bahn, they are only €2,50 for 2nd class.

Posted by
32805 posts

It is the case that certain countries do not have reservations and their associated fees. In the UK the only mandatory reservations are for the Caladonian Sleeper out of Euston and the sleepers to Cornwall and Devon out of Paddington. Netherlands do not - except Thalys. Belgium do not - except Eurostar and Thalys Germany do not - except a few very specific ICE Switzerland do not for domestic trains. Even TGV for journeys completely within Switzerland do not but most seats will be reserved for travelers going internationally. Luxembourg do not except for some trains to France. I can't speak for Scandanavia. Italy definitely, most certainly, does.

Posted by
14529 posts

Lyndsey, As long as you are riding ICE trains within Germany and Austria. day, you aren't required to have a reservation, say from Linz to Frankfurt, or Nürnberg to Vienna. You can just hop on with your Pass. No need to reserve when it's not mandatory. If you're going from Germany to Paris, it's mandatory to reserve, day or night. The Thalys and TGV require reservations. I avoid taking Thalys trains when possible. Just to sleep upright in a 6 person compartment on a night train, say from Cologne to Vienna, requires a reservation. If you want to pay the extra expense of getting a couchette or a sleeper, then you are required to reserve...these aren't covered by the Pass.

Posted by
6 posts

This is very helpful, thank you. I will be doing most my travel in Germany and Italy. Sounds like I should be pretty good in Germany. Does anyone know if Italy requires reservations?

Posted by
14529 posts

Lyndsey, You asked about the extra fees, whether you would have to pay them? If you take that ride from Frankfurt to Milan (Mailand), day, the extra fee is the mandatory reservation even with your Pass. Only in Germany and Austria on the high speed train, the ICE, day, is a reservation not required, say, going from Munich to Soest/Westfalen or Leipzig to Kiel. Your Pass will cover the ride when you hop on. But if you're taking a night train within Germany, say Munich to Duisburg (near the Dutch border), you'll have to pay the extra fee,,,the mandatory reservation...aside from showing your Pass. Can't help you on Italy.