Please sign in to post.

Rail Pass

My family will be traveling by rail and I would like to know if we should buy a rail pass or separate rail tickets? Below is the trip itinerary: Arrive in Venice travel to Florence. While in Florence day trips to Assisi and day trip to Cinqueterre by train. From Florence down to Salerno. From Pompeii up to Rome. This trip will be done in 13 day. I am very confused with different rail packages. Please help! ?

Posted by
23573 posts

Only one way to know. Do your own homework. Go to the trenitalia.com web site and price out the trip. Remember if you book early you can get mini discount tickets but that locks you into a schedule. Also remember to add the seat reservation fee for using pass. Add it up and compare. You will have your answer.

Posted by
1260 posts

Hi Susan. I would suggest not buying a rail pass; individual tix will be almost certainly be cheaper and less of a hassle. 2 add'l notes: for a few of your trips (e.g Venice to Florence), you can save money by buying in advance online (trenitalia.com) if you are willing to lock in date and time. Also, day trip from Florence to CT is possible but a very long day; 3 hours train each direction; I would suggest stay overnight in CT.
Enjoy your trip!