Please sign in to post.

Rail Pass

Hi,

My friend and I are going to England and Italy for about 5 weeks and were wondering if it's worth getting the rail pass. We will be visiting Nottingham, London and then either flying to Nice and train to Italy - Genoa?

From there, we will go to Rome, and down to Sorrento (staying in one location) and taking bus to Positano, Amalfi Coast, and then down to Calabria by train.

Posted by
55 posts

P.S. Would you purchase your tickets in advance if you are flying within Europe - London to Nice with Easyjet. I'm not sure whether it would make a difference in price to purchase before leaving Canada.

Posted by
55 posts

I looked at the flights for Easyjet and there is a flight from London to Nice and from London to Rome Fuimico airport. I was thinking that it might be easier to go to Rome and then take the Leonardo Express train from there to the train station. What do you think?

Posted by
8700 posts

Are you aware that you would need two passes, a BritRail pass for the UK and a Eurail pass for Italy and/or France?

If you're flying into London and the only train rides you will take are to Nottingham and back to London, then a BritRail pass won't pay. If you book well in advance on the East Coast site, you can get a discount fare as low as £10 each way.

Unless you plan to spend a few days in Nice before going to Rome, it would make more sense to fly directly from London to Rome. With budget airllnes like easyJet, the sooner you book the cheaper the fare.

For train travel within Italy point-to-point tickets usually are cheaper than a pass.