Please sign in to post.

Rail Pass

I am trying to find the cheapest pass for my needs. I will be traveling by train about 9 days in Germany and be there 15 days. And I was going to spend about three days with a car rental. Would it be better for me to use a separate car rental and train pass or look into the train and car pass together?

Posted by
23564 posts

These days a rail pass is not always the cheapest way to go. With surcharges on rail passes for seat reservations and discounts available for advance purchases of rail ticket, p2p is often the best way to go. BUT you need to do your homework. Price out your planned schedule and compare. Unless you are going to some really off beat small places, especially in Germany, a car rental doesn't make a lot of sense.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the info! We are trying to keep our schedule open, just have a general idea of where we want to go and end up. So we aren't going to be making any advance reservations. We are going in May so were hoping we wouldn't have any problems finding room. I was thinking of getting a Eurail Select Pass. Any other suggestions?