Please sign in to post.

Rail Pass

Okay, so my wife and I have 2 weeks in Italy and the books are awesome. I keep trying to buck the wisdom of foregoing the train passes. I understand that additional fees for reservations will be needed and the lines will be there. But, when I add up the ticket cost from then handy rail price map it gets crazy. Here is a quick itinerary to give you an idea of what we need. Rome-Pompeii-Sorrento-Florence-Volterra-Florence-Venice-(Possible Bolzano)-Rome overnight. Seems like a whirlwind, but that adds up to quite a bit for two. We feel like the pass would cut it substantially and allow us to pay for that portion of the trip now making the feel of the total cost less. Advice . . .
Greatly appreciated.

Posted by
23341 posts

Only you can do the math. Get on trenitalia.com and price it out. With advance ticket sales, it is very hard to beat the mini fares but you are locked into a schedule. The rail pass will not get you into Rome (unless it is a first class pass), cannot be used from Pompeii to Sorrento. Some of the others could be Regional trains which are very cheap and not a good use of a pass. At one time a rail pass was a no brainer but with surcharges and discount price, it is a margin deal but you still have to do the math.