Please sign in to post.

Rail Pass

I will be in Europe for 25 days. Fly into Paris go to Toul, France then on to Frankfurt and the Romantic Road. At our stopping point on the RR we then go to Prague from there to Bratslava. After a weekend in Slovokia we go on to Venice to Munich back through Switzerland to Florence and on to Rome for our departure. I'm having a hard time trying to decide if it would be better to get a Flexipass for and pay for the trip from Prague to Bratislava. This is my first trip to Europe and the rail pass seems to be the most confusing. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted by
2788 posts

Look on the top of RS home page (or most of these pages) and click on "Railpasses" - lots of information for you. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
19159 posts

Two comments:

1. I don't know if you have looked at a rail map, but the Romantic Road is not served all the way by rail. There are regional buses to fill in the gaps, but they are not included on a Eurail pass. You can get to Rothenburg by rail, but not from there to Noerdlingen. There is rail service from Noerdlingen to Landsberg am Lech, but not from Landsberg to Fuessen (there is rail service to Fuessen). But, no matter - the only town, IMO, worth seeing between Rothenburg and Fuessen is Noerdlingen.

2. A €28 Bayern-Ticket will cover bus and rail (regional) in that area (for up to 5 people for a day), so you probably don't want to dedicate a day of your rail pass for the Rom Rd. Similarly, you can get from Frankfurt to Wuerzburg or Rothenburg with a local RMV ticket to Kahl am Main, the first stop in Bavaria, for about €7 per person and a €28 Bayern-Ticket, so that's another day where a railpass day would not be cost effective. Anywhere in Bavaria to Prague can be done with a Bayern-Böhmen ticket (€33 for up to 5). It will take you to Plzen. A Czech ticket from Plzen to Prague will be about €6 pP.

Of course, if you have extra days of the pass, use them, but you don't need to add days to cover this travel.

I'm not familiar with rail fares outside of Germany, but maybe that will help you decide how many days.