Please sign in to post.

rail pass

I have a short time after a planned trip in Germany. My husband and I wanted to get to Rome There is a night train from Munich to Rome Sunday pm spend Monday through Thursday. take the night train back for a Friday flight home. Do select rail passes cover night trains? We thought we would take a day up to Florence if we had a rail pass. The trip is $200 plus couchette each way.

Posted by
3050 posts

Rail passes do not cover the entire cost of night train couchettes, there is a supplementary fee for the couchette or private compartment. For your trip you are better off buying point-to-point tickets, it will be far cheaper.

Posted by
19240 posts

Find that night train connection on the German Rail (Bahn) website. You can probably get a saving fare (Europa-Spezial), including accommodations , for less than the cost of a rail pass. Note that a rail pass would have to include Austria (but Germany, Austria, and Italy are three countries and that's the fewest countries for a Select pass anyway). Instead of RT to Rome with a day trip to Florence, consider going Munich to Florence with a day train to Rome and back to Munich, or v-v. That night train splits, and one part goes to Florence.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you for the website with specials German Bahn. Have you booked tickets through this site? So you think it's better to stay in Florence and do Rome in one day? Is it less expensive? More things to do?? Any ideas are most welcome

Posted by
19240 posts

I didn't say do Rome as a day trip, I said stop in Florence, for a night, whatever, then go on to Rome. Why do a round trip to Florence from Rome when Florence is on the way to Rome? Most of the time, I just buy point to point tickets or regional passes at the station, but for longer trips, where German Rail gives good discounts for advance purchase, I have bought tickets from that website.