Please sign in to post.

Public Transportation

Is there public transportation to Cinque Terre from Lucca, Italy?

Posted by
19119 posts

Cinque Terre is an area, not a train station. In looking for schedules, you need to know the name of the town in which you want to stop. There are train connections from Lucca to Vernazza in about 2 hours.

Posted by
32228 posts

Torie, YES, there is absolutely public transportation from Lucca to the any of the towns in the Cinque Terre (I travelled that route last year). As Lee mentioned, you'll have to specify which of the five towns you'll be staying in. Travel by train is easiest, and there will usually be at least one change. If you haven't travelled by train in Italy before, it would be a good idea to do some research, as there are some potentially expensive "pitfalls" to be aware of. Happy travels!

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you. I was thinking that there might be a train that would go to La Spezia from Lucca. Is that possible?

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the warning. I had just been readingon RS's website about scams that some travelers had encountered on their trips.

Posted by
19119 posts

I don't think any of us mind answering your schedule questions, but you can get the same information quickly yourself on the Trenitalia website.

Posted by
32228 posts

Torie, Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to "scams" when travelling by train in Italy, although that's something to be aware of also. I was referring to legitimate pitfalls which can befall the uneducated. For example, if you're riding a Regionale train you MUST validate your ticket in the yellow machine prior to boarding the train, or risk a hefty fine (€40-50) which will be collected on the spot! The same situation occurs if riding one of the premium trains which have compulsory reservations. If you don't have a valid reservation for the train you're riding on, hefty fines will be the result. This is more of a concern for those travelling with a Railpass who may not be aware that they have to purchase reservations separately. Be sure to watch your luggage carefully! Don't go to the dining car (especially when the train is in or nearing a station) as your gear may not be there when you return. I've also experienced people boarding trains just before departure and placing a small card on the seats with a "hard luck" story written on it. They go from one end of the train to the other soliciting "donations" and always pick up the cards and exit the train before it leaves. I've probably got photos of the wording on the cards, but I'd have to check my files. I tend to ignore them. Be sure to wear a Money Belt in Italy (and elsewhere in Europe) as the pickpockets are VERY good! The link that Lee provided for the Trenitalia website will help you to decide which trains to use. Cheers!

Posted by
4 posts

Everyone has been helpful, thank you. I understand the area of Cinque Terre, the 5 towns. Since we're staying in Lucca, I thought our best bet to see the 5 towns was to go by train to La Spezia which is south of the towns. Then we'd take the train south to north beginning with Riomaggiore, town # 1 in Rick Steve's Italy guidebook. From your input I understand that I need to check the trains out of Lucca and my destination, La Spezia Centrale. I'm also looking into the boat service. So, may I have your input on visiting the towns that way? AND, what towns did you find you just couldn't get enough of? From what I've read, I put the towns in this order of preference:#1 Riomaggiore, #2 Vernazza; I know about the earthquake(s), Corniglia is closed, I believe. Then Monterosso, and Manarola. I'd love to visit the cemeteries in Manarola, but I'm not sure the people I'm traveling with would be as eager. In Vernazza, We'd go up into the high country via the bus labeled "Drignana". All I've written of is what I've gleaned from the RS guidebook.
Again, thanks for you input.