Please sign in to post.

Point to Point tickets

Are reservation fees included in point to point fares?
(countries involved- France, Benelux, Germany, Austria, Italy)

Posted by
19103 posts

What do you mean by point-point fares. In Germany, if you are buying p-p tickets at the station, if it is a reservable train, reservations are €4,50 per seat, 2nd class, on top of the posted fares. That's for up to two trains in one direction. (Regional trains are not reservable.) If you purchase p-p tickets online, either full fare or advance purchase discount tickets, 2nd class reservations are €2,50 per seat, same conditions. On trains where reservations are mandatory, like ES* in Italy, the fare includes the reservations.

Posted by
4408 posts

It depends - some trains are only sold with reservations, so you don't even have to check a little box or anything - it's done for you. It'll be obvious to you... Others give you a choice; depending on the route and length of the trip, I might or might not bother with one; usually, they aren't that expensive, so I'll probably just get one if it's an important leg of my journey, it's a long journey and I don't want to keep hopping up and moving for others, or if there are several of us traveling together and we'd like to be somewhat near each other. The local trains (lowest rung on the ladder) won't even accept reservations; they're nearly never close to full. Do you want to know in order to compare P-to-P tickets to a rail pass, or so that you don't get thrown off a train Somewhere in Europe LOL? Without knowing your exact routes, I can't answer your question accurately.

Posted by
12040 posts

There are no reservations on Dutch (NS) or Belgian (NMBS) rail. As Lee mentioned, on certain German rail trains, reservations are optional and provided for a small fee.

Posted by
51 posts

Well, We are debating between a supersaver pass and buying individual tickets. We will be going from Paris to Amsterdam to Bacharach to Salzberg to Venice to Rome. Our trip is not until Sept so I know that I can't buy them yet. I am just planning ahead.

Posted by
51 posts

Also should mention Salzberg to Venice is a sleeper.
Thanks

Posted by
19103 posts

With advance purchase Amsterdam to Bacharach can be as low as €29 per person. €2,50 more for reservations if you reserve with the Europa-Spezial ticket. If you are really going Bacharach to Salzburg in one leap you can get a Sparpreis fare, again €29 plus €2,50 for reservations (up to two reservable trains). Advance "reservations" for the night train, which are really a surcharge for the accommodations, are necessary, because night trains are popular and often sell out well in advance of the travel date. Incidentally, it's Salzburg, not Salzberg. There is also a night train from Munich to Venice (in case you have trouble getting reservations on the Austrian train).

Posted by
4408 posts

...and your Paris - Amsterdam can be €35,00, and your Venice - Rome €29,00. Add them up - probably better than a rail pass. And any necessary reservations are already included. These are 2nd class, (probably) non-refundable tickets (or, highly-restricted). But if you know your plans...they're a GREAT deal to purchase online ASAP - typically 3 months in advance, they are released for sale.

Posted by
51 posts

Thanks! Where can I purchase tickets with these fares?

Posted by
19103 posts

The two fares I gave you can be found on the German Rail website. I'll let others tell you where to find the others. Salzburg to Venice is probably on the Austrian Rail website, www.oebb.at. If you want Munich to Venice, it's on the German Rail website. When searching on these websites, it might help if you spell the towns correctly (Hint: Salzburg)

Posted by
51 posts

Thanks again.
Sorry it was just a typo. I have a friend who spells his last name, Salzberg, with a E. Just wasn't thinking.

Posted by
4408 posts

http://www.trenitalia.com/ At the top center of the page, click on the British flag... Until the summer schedules are posted in June, you can't search or purchase tickets too many weeks out...And probably not until about 3 months before your travel dates.