Please sign in to post.

Planning a trip to see the Passion Play in Oberammergau after Best of Germany tour in 2020

My wife and I are planning a trip to Oberammergau after our Best of Germany tour in 2020 which ends in Berlin.
Our initial plan is to fly from Berlin to Munich after the RS tour and then to Oberammergau from there, either by train, bus or even rent a car.
We also have entertained the idea of flying into Innsbruck, Austria and traveling to Oberammergau from there.
We already have tickets to the play and have secured a place to stay in Oberammergau so the only thing (we think) we need to figure out is the best and easiest way to get to Oberammergau and then back to either Munich or Innsbruck for our trip back to the US.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
867 posts

The drive from Munich, and the larger number of international flights from there, would incline me to stage thru there.

Posted by
19092 posts

Oberammergau is very easy to get to by rail from the Munich airport.

Posted by
2469 posts

Sounds like a wonderful way to cap off your trip to Germany! I and a friend are signed up for the Best of Germany tour 8/25-9/06. We probably will spend 3 days in Berlin post-tour as there is so much to do and see there.
This forum has many regular posters who will give you good advice about Oberammergau transport options.
Enjoy!

Posted by
20089 posts

There are direct trains from Berlin to Munich in 4 1/2 hours. To fly, figure 1/2 hour to Tegel, check in 1 1/2 hours before flight, 1 hour in the air. 1/2 hour to deplane, 1 hour to Munich Hbf for train to Oberammergau. So timewise, it's a wash. Train can be as low as 25.90 EUR per person all the way to Oberammergau and taking about 6 1/2 hours.

Posted by
4858 posts

I can't really see the logic of flying to Innsbruck instead of Munich (unless you really want to visit Innsbruck first?). And a direct train to the Munich Hbh seems simpler and easier than flying. Trains are frequent between Munich and O'gau- a rental car seems like a needless complication.

I'd also strongly recommend that you make dinner reservations well in advance of your stay in O'gau, since many of the restaurants will book up with those on packages.

Posted by
293 posts

Twenty years ago, the deal was that the Passion Play came in two parts, one in the morning for 3 hours (10-1?) with a 2 hour break, and then another session in the afternoon, 2 hours, (3-5?) and LUNCH was the difficult meal to get unless you had a reservation. Is that what YOUR schedule says?

Aaah, Oberammergau - I used to love that little walk along the babbling brook. And those green grassy fields, surrounded by some serious Alps. So different from my dusty town in Central California.